Datty

I built a watercooling setup about 6 months ago with:

DDD5 pump

DD TDX CPU block

ThermoChill PA120.3 Radiator

Swiftech MCW30 Chipset Block

Fillport/T-Pipe

Tygon tubing

This is my first watercooling build and I'm not too sure if i've got it set up right. I've followed a few of the guides to set it up but I'm not sure if the temps i'm seeing are very good.

I'm running a QX6700 @ 3.3GHZ 1.45V. Temps are 75-80C loaded, 55C idle with the chipset around 65C. At the moment i've got 3 fans attached to the radiator and a huge desk fan behind them trying to keep it cool but it doesnt seem to be working too well..Are those temps about right for the setup I have? Or have I got something setup wrong?

Thanks

Idle

Tjunction = 100C

Core0 = 45C

Core1 = 45C

Core2 = 42C

Core4 = 44C

Load

Tjunction = 100C

Core0 = 68C

Core1 = 68C

Core2 = 61C

Core4 = 62C

Tjunction didnt move so i guess it isnt reading properly...well i hope it aint lol.

Probably because i'm on Vista x64

I'm almost positive if you got a better block you would see better temps for your quad. The TDX is most likely your problem. You have a top of the line rad, a great pump. the TDX would be good for a single core or maybe even OK for a duel core but since you have a chip with so much surface area that needs to be cooled the tiny tdx cant keep up.

If you compare the TDX baseplate you will see a very small amount of fins here(see the third pic) to the base plate of a D-Tek Fuzion here(the fourth pic) you will see that the Fuzion has enough fins and pins to properly cool a quad core cpu.

If you got a Fuzion to replace your TDX you will definitly see an improvment in your temps.

Ahh brilliant. Will have to get hold of one. Any idea what could be wrong with the chipset block? It is a little loose but even if I physically hold it against it, it only drops by about 5C.

So your chipset block can be wiggled around, right? Are you using clips to mount it or screws to mount it? If you are using screws you can get a hard mount kit for your MCW-30, this kit will stop any wiggling and will make a firm mount. Go to swiftech.com then - online store to liquid cooling then scroll down untill you see the title "Liquid Cooling replacement parts and accessories" then you'll see MCW-30 Hardmount kit. Its only $2 pus shipping and should be an easy fix.

Your chipset block (and any other) shouldn't move around at all! Also, are you using a cheap thermal compound? How about air coming into the case? Plenty of fans drawing cool air into the case from the front/side?

I'm using clips to mount the block. Cant use screws as theres no holes in the board. The hooks on the board are a lil bit loose for the clips so it would move around but i've cabletied it against the board. It can only really slip around on it rather than away from it. I'm using arctic silver thermal compound. The airflow in the case isnt amazing as theres not really a large vent on the front of the case. My Hard drives sit around 35C and theres 7 of them on top of each other so it cant be too bad. I havent lapped the cpu or the waterblocks but I wouldnt really trust myself to do it. Would it that make this much of a difference?