Prime95 torture test?

Can somebody explain to me what the Prime95 Torture Test is? I tried running two instances of it on my dual core setup and the cores don't get used much but all my RAM sure does and the rest of the system comes to near a halt (slow responsivity). Is the torture test for testing RAM, and should I have only ran one instance of it? I need to know what to run to test with Prime95. I ran for about an hour without incident, but I had to wonder...

download Orthos, it automatically runs two instances of Prime 95, much easier.

as far as the settings go, you want to run the 'blend' setting to stress both CPU and RAM, and then there is the priority setting (which has a lot to do with usability and the system coming to a halt).

hope this helps.

btw, if you are running Orthos blend or two instances of Prime 95, high priority, you may want to do it overnight, using your rig while both cores are getting hammered near 100% all the time is a waste of user time.

laterz,

baldy

I would say 8 hours for a OCDB entry and 24 hours for a SSDB entry. But its really up to you how long to test for every day use. I myself go for a min of 8 hours.

What kind of stability testing have you done? There is more than just running Prime95 or Orthos.

Check out Praz’s thread; Stability Testing Programs. You’ll need to test then adjust your settings to get stable.