Windows Media Player problems

snugglealufacus

a friend of mine is using WMP11 on his RS482 infinity mobo w/ an AMD 3500+. now this motherboard is new because his old asus kept acting up, we decided to buy it the first of this month.

the problem is that WMP will NOT play anything at all as a standalone program. if you have WMP embeded into firefox or IE, it will play just fine, but if you open WMP11 by itself and try to play music, you get an error saying that no audio drivers were found.

iTunes, firefox, and the yahoo! messenger sounds all work, i even played a song in iTunes and it worked, but when i tried to play it in WMP it would give me the error.

i have uninstalled it back to WMP10, same error. i updated again to WMP11.. same error. i went into the program files/Windows Media Player and played the song using the Windows Media Player 2 program in there, and WMP2 played the file fine.

the only thing i didnt try is embedding WMP11 into a webpage w/ the local song attached to it, but im sure it would work. does anyone know how to fix this?

*edit* sorry this is long. but to add.. he can burn media cd's using WMP11, and when he plays them the tracks are there and the times are right, but the cd plays nothing.. just silence.

yes i just swapped boards out. windows said i had to re-activate since the new mobo changed my hardware around so much, but i made sure to uninstall any drivers that might have carried over from the Asus (btw, it was an A8N5X mobo). i want to try my best to not reformat because he has loads of information on his comp and it would be hell to transfer it even by a CAT5 over to mine..

Usually you run into serious problems sooner or later, because the RS482 is based on ATI/AMD chipset and the Asus a Nvidia nForce4; the audio is however Realtek ALC850 on both.

I doubt any would give you any other advice than to backup valuable data and make a new clean installation of XP.

I should have been clearer on my suggestion.

Once you uninstall WMP11 you must reboot. Then you have to reinstall WMP10 from a fresh install. Never just use the WMP10 that the uninstall reverts too.