New boot problem "Cold Boot?"

Guest tytlyf_merged

Guest tytlyf

Hi all. I've had my mobo over a year running fine no problem with my Old Opty 148. Recently I installed a dual core opty 170 and am now having boot problems.

The problem is the computer will not turn on when pressing the power button. In the morning, afternoon, night, even after having the computer on all day, then turning it off and on again (nothing).

The only thing I can do to fix it is turn the PSU on and off about a half dozen to a dozen times.

I've searched the cold boot problems, but they all seem different. When i put my original opty 148 back in, it works.

I tried a new PSU, it worked fine initially (off/on) until one time I turned the computer off, then on again, and it didn't fire up. This sat in my mind that it couldn't be a PSU issue.

The Standby LED is always on, the Dram LED is only on when the computer starts. The DRAM LED does come on after switching the psu off and on a bunch of times. When I see the DRAM LED lit, that's when it boots.

Anyone got a fix? This board has been fine for a year, now since switching to dual core its having this problem. I've tried other Bios, nothing. I would think a Fortron 500w would be enough to power a dual core, 6800gs, (1) optical drive, and 2 HDD's in raid.

Thanks for the help everyone.

Guest tytlyf

I'm going to try doing a long cmos clear. about 20 hours to see how it works. Other than that, it's time to order a psu if that fails.

Hi all. I've had my mobo over a year running fine no problem with my Old Opty 148. Recently I installed a dual core opty 170 and am now having boot problems.

The problem is the computer will not turn on when pressing the power button. In the morning, afternoon, night, even after having the computer on all day, then turning it off and on again (nothing).

The only thing I can do to fix it is turn the PSU on and off about a half dozen to a dozen times.

I've searched the cold boot problems, but they all seem different. When i put my original opty 148 back in, it works.

I tried a new PSU, it worked fine initially (off/on) until one time I turned the computer off, then on again, and it didn't fire up. This sat in my mind that it couldn't be a PSU issue.

The Standby LED is always on, the Dram LED is only on when the computer starts. The DRAM LED does come on after switching the psu off and on a bunch of times. When I see the DRAM LED lit, that's when it boots.

Anyone got a fix? This board has been fine for a year, now since switching to dual core its having this problem. I've tried other Bios, nothing. I would think a Fortron 500w would be enough to power a dual core, 6800gs, (1) optical drive, and 2 HDD's in raid.

Thanks for the help everyone.

This happened to me. I bought a DFI Ultra-D and a Opteron 165. The board would not boot with the dual core unless I flicked off and on the power supply but would boot fine with my old Athlon 3800+.

I did a long long cmos clear but while I was doing that I found a good deal on a Corsair 620 and bought it. I think it was the new PSU that did the trick but before throwing down some money on a new one try a long cmos clear first.

Guest tytlyf

^

|

| beat me

See if you guys can figure this out.

The system has been running fine for a year with ZERO problems. A week ago I drop in a dual core, and boot issues.

If i put the opty 148 back in, it boots fine. So what is going on with the processors?

You guys use that AMD dual core optimizer? Any other drivers for these dual core opterons i should know about. I usually remove any cpu drivers completely.

yea there's an X2 driver from AMD you need to use, and the dual core optimizer also.

But that processor overclocked draws A LOT more juice than your old one. Basically, you're running two of your old processors. This happened to me when going from Athlon 3500+ to Opty. Eventually my 500W power supply just stopped working. Switched to current PSU, and every little issue with my rig went away.

Just save yourself the pain, and invest in a good solid DFI recommended Power Supply.

from my reading in the past. on the cold boot problem it boiled down to being a PSU problem. with some psus not being compatible

I second that motion. I would definitely suspect the PSU.

I would run Memtest, however. If your memory is failing that could cause the problem , also.

I had bad memory and PSU at the same time. These were the symptoms that I had to endure.

Guest tytlyf
I second that motion. I would definitely suspect the PSU.

I would run Memtest, however. If your memory is failing that could cause the problem , also.

The memory has been fine for a year and its fine now. Tested single stick, different slots, etc

I never installed an X2 driver for this opteron, gonna try that and see if that does anything. I dont see how the driver could affect the boot process? I've heard the dual core optimizer is optional, not really a necessity.

I want to first make sure it is the PSU before I order one online. Like I said, i tried the Antec 550 NeoHE and it worked fine about 5 times and then one time it did the same thing. So from that it seemed the PSU cured it for a second, or the power wasn't enough.

I just got done with a 21 hour long CMOS clear and the system did not reset all the settings, the CMOS reloaded still had the same settings. So pissed. Now I gotta do it again, for at least 40 hours. Not sure what else I can do at this point, probably going to buy a 700w OCZ at a local store for testing to see how that works. And if its good, I will return it and buy it online so i can save some cash..

I'll keep you updated. No computer tomorrow night :P

I believe that the CMOS Reloaded settings stay regardless if you have cleared the CMOS or not.. I believe that it is just your current settings in the BIOS that are erased and not the ones you have saved in the Reloaded. I may be wrong though.

I just got done with a 21 hour long CMOS clear and the system did not reset all the settings, the CMOS reloaded still had the same settings.

The only way to get rid of the CMOS Reloaded settings is to write over them with new settings. A CMOS Clear will not erase CMOS Reloaded settings.

Guest tytlyf

I was under the impression that the purpose of a long CMOS clear is to erase ALL settings. Thats how you know it truly cleared. Correct me if I'm wrong in saying that if the CMOS reloaded didn't erase, the long CMOS clear didn't work ?!?