nF4 expert wont boot above CAS 2

I have been trying to OC my new DFI board. Everything is going very well, but the memory overclocking seems to be a little strange.

I can boot memtest with my TCC5 memory (2x512) at 275+ MHz, 3-4-4-8. It will run all day and be rock stable. As soon as I try to boot windows, computer crashes immediately, BSOD then reboot. After much playing around, I have concluded that it is not the bandwitdh, its the timings causing the problems. I can run my memory at 250MHz, 2-3-2-8 and boot windows and prime all day. Totally stable. As soon as I try to boot 250MHz, 3-3-3-8, same crashing problem. It seems if CAS is set to anything over 2, the system is unstable.

Another annoying thing is that the board has many memory divider options, but some don't work correctly, including the DDR200 option. That sucks because my life would be much easier if I could just keep my memory 1:1.

I am running the most recent official bios. Anyone know what the problem with overclocking this memory is?

Which slots are you using? For me to get my TCCD running at CAS 2.5 I have to boot with them in the yellow, set my timings and then swap to the orange to get Cas 2.5 or 3 to boot.

I am using the orange slots. The yellow ones will post but will hang if an OS tries to load.

I tried tour method, did not work. My memory can boot at CAS 3, it just BSODs when I try to load XP.

Very strange...

Blow air on them from a nice big fan 80-120mm @ hit them with some juice.

If you don’t cool them over 2.9-3v they will die.

I have a set of TCC5 on my work machine running 24-7 @ 285mhz 1t using 3.17 volts in bios which is 3.14 in smart guardian.

TCC5 likes more voltage than TCCD most of the TCC5 I have had will run 275-285mhz 1t 3.4.4.7 using 2.87-3.01v in bios

The settings in my SIG are good for TCC5 but you will more than likely have to lax the primary timings to 3.4.4.8 ish to get 285mhz.

OCZ DDR600 Limited Edition is TCCD http://www.ocztechnology.com/products/memo...el_platinum-eol

OCZ DDR600 Elite Edition is TCC5 http://www.ocztechnology.com/products/memo...ite_edition-eol

Check the links to see how much voltage they can handle 3.0v +/- 5%.

Blow air on them from a nice big fan 80-120mm @ hit them with some juice.

If you don’t cool them over 2.9-3v they will die.

I have a set of TCC5 on my work machine running 24-7 @ 285mhz 1t using 3.17 volts in bios which is 3.14 in smart guardian.

TCC5 likes more voltage than TCCD most of the TCC5 I have had will run 275-285mhz 1t 3.4.4.7 using 2.87-3.01v in bios

The settings in my SIG are good for TCC5 but you will more than likely have to lax the primary timings to 3.4.4.8 ish to get 285mhz.

OCZ DDR600 Limited Edition is TCCD http://www.ocztechnology.com/products/memo...el_platinum-eol

OCZ DDR600 Elite Edition is TCC5 http://www.ocztechnology.com/products/memo...ite_edition-eol

Check the links to see how much voltage they can handle 3.0v +/- 5%.

I dont think you understand...in any other board (I have tried nF3 and Via K8T800 pro or whatever it is) I have no problem at all hitting 275+ at 3.0v. I have confirmed this on more than 4 boards.

This board can easily go that high as well, and run memtest and not spit an error at 3-4-4-8. The problem is booting windows. More voltage to the memory would help me tighten my timings, but I cant loosen them. CAS 2.5 or higher makes the system unstable. CAS 2 works fine...

I dont think you understand...in any other board (I have tried nF3 and Via K8T800 pro or whatever it is) I have no problem at all hitting 275+ at 3.0v. I have confirmed this on more than 4 boards.

This board can easily go that high as well, and run memtest and not spit an error at 3-4-4-8. The problem is booting windows. More voltage to the memory would help me tighten my timings, but I cant loosen them. CAS 2.5 or higher makes the system unstable. CAS 2 works fine...

I am only trying to help offering settings/timings that I have used on 20+ different boards.

BSOD says not enough voltage to me.

I do know the expert likes LDT & NB voltage maybe this is the problem are you pushing the LDT speed over 1000 mhz ? lower the LDT multiplier or up the voltage.

You have probably tried it already but give the Chipset & LDT maximum voltage & try booting & if it works gently lower the voltages etc.

LDT is set to 3x, 825.3 MHz. I have tried to bump the LDT and chipset voltages, but not too much... What is a good max voltage to give them?

BSOD says not enough voltage to me.

normally I would totally agree, but more voltage to underclock something? it just doesnt make any sense to me. :confused: I have tried to give my memory 3.2v, no change.

EDIT:

I just tried the whole spectrum of LDT voltages and up to 1.65v on the chipset to see if it would even boot 3-3-3-8, no luck.