Problem with fan on DFI ULTRA-D Mobo

In the last two weeks I have noticed a Whirring sound coming from my case. The pitch starts out low then goes higher then is just a steady annoying throbbing sound. At first I thought it was the CPU fan since I would see it move then slow down then speed up. Which I later realized was due to the cpu fan I assume adjusting its speed.

Upon further examination I found the problem to be the fan on the motherboard which is right next to the PCI Express slot. I believe this is called the Cmos chip fan. It’s a cylindrical style casing with the fan in the middle. This fan never made a "whirring" sound before but its been steadily been getting louder. I was wondering what I can do to get rid of this sound?

The VC-RE is no larger then the stock hsf. But it does a much better job of cooling.

If you feel this is not an option and wish to retain the stock hsf the only alternative will be to RMA the board. Although there will be no guarantee that the new one won't exhibit problems down the road.

Guest Radiohead

Have you tried removing the fan and sink,lapping the sink and reapplying the cooler with AS5?