What Is The Best FX-60 Stepping Socket 939?

I was surfing the 3GHz Club and seen EdLSmith was running the same CPU as I am. Not sure on his stepping but mines a CCBIE 0627TPMW. Hes running the Expert. I have mine in my Venus basically the same board. And I was running G.Skill but I just got a set of OCZ DDR500 just like he had in his entry. So I copied his setup and it booted first time. I had to loosen up the timings and back off the FSB just a tad to get mine prime stable. I went to bed with prime95 running woke up today ran and passed 3DMark 01 & 05.

Anyways long story short I have this stepping running at 3014HHz Prime stable 14 hours. I will download 3Dmark 03, Orthos & Photoshop and put something official together for it sometime soon.

picture164rk0.th.jpg

My opty 170 CCBBE 0617 FPMW is among those that do +3GHz on air. According to some post on xtremesystems.org, they're listed there: steppings on dualcore opterons versus clockability. I doubt there's much - if any - difference on an FX 60 and a "late" dualcore opteron 170 or 170+.

If I had better cooling than my Arctic Cooling Freezer 64 Pro (like phase or water) I'm sure it would do maybe 3.5GHz.

I think the most important thing to look at is the date of production (mine is Week 17 2006), since the silicon at that date is supposed to be most mature. I think there hasn't been made no 170 Opterons since that date, and AMD didn't gain much more overclockability/higher speed or performance by making 90nm AM2 cpu's; the SOI is as good as it gets.

So any 90nm cpu produced later than Week 17 2006 should be able to do +3GHz.

My Opteron 170 stepping (according to cpu-z) is:

90nm Opteron 170 (UP) Toledo - Brand ID: 44

Family=F Model=3 Stepping=2 Ext. Family=F Ext. Model=23 Revision=JH9-E6

In bios the cpu-power is set to 1.425x1.04=1.482V (cpu-z reads 1.44V - bios reads 1.46V - I trust it'll be given the voltage I set it to, 1.482V)

I'm currently not running my system at +3GHz since that forces me to run my mem/cpu at 7/10 ratio; 218/3050.

Screenshot:

opty170steppingmg5.th.jpg

I don't think there's any reason why you would conclude your core0 being faulty; no matter what bench you run in XP, the critical system processes all run on core0 (unfortunately). Furthermore, if both cores are loaded 100% you should expect a bit more heat- and powerusage-generation.

Even with the FX-60 being $300 a Opteron is still cheaper and could give a higher overclock. If I had the money I would get a FX-60 because a unlocked multiplier could be fun and a phase setup would make it even better.

I was really referring to the Opty of the same caliber as the FX60 like the 185. I cant get my Opty170 past 2.4 stable. Its a good stepping too. Of coarse I am a nooby OCer so I know its me not the CPU.

Let us know how high you get! :)

Definatly:) Its going in my brothers PC. I kicked his Asus A8N32 SLI to the curb and put a Expert in his machine. Also adding the FX60 to replace his 4800x2. And putting 2 XFX 7950 Extremes in place of his BFG limited edition 6800GTs. (we already had the video cards or I would have got him a 8800)Its his final 939 upgrade.

I just got a new FX 60 today its stepping is LCB9E 0630TPAW It a stepping I havent seen yet. Ill be putting it on a Expert this week to see what it will do.

Any updates yet? I also received a LCB9E but atm I am having problems with my OCZ Gold GX right now so overclocking for the moment is out of the question :sad: In all honesty if I can hit 2.8 with no problems I will be happy but i'm really pushing for the coveted 3.0. However, with no form of extreme cooling I doubt I will get there. As long as it does better than my previous opty its all good.:)

• 1 month later...
Any updates yet? I also received a LCB9E but atm I am having problems with my OCZ Gold GX right now so overclocking for the moment is out of the question :sad: In all honesty if I can hit 2.8 with no problems I will be happy but i'm really pushing for the coveted 3.0. However, with no form of extreme cooling I doubt I will get there. As long as it does better than my previous opty its all good.:)

Im just wondering why you are having problems with your memory? I have Ocz Gold 2gb kit but its pc 3200. Im getting 2.8ghz with ease at its stock timings with a 3700+ San diego. I would have thought that having the multi unlocked on a FX60 would make it even easyer.

Im looking out for a FX60 but cant find a good stepping. I can get a LCB9E so will be very interested in what you get out of this as there is very little info on this stepping. The Opty 185 looks to be a better choice at the moment. I would get a Opty 170 but if it dont clock high then im left with a problem so at least a 185 is a decent stock speed.

• 5 weeks later...
I sold a CCBIE 0622FPMW on Ebay this week. A new one just arrived it is a CCBIE 0627TPMW. Two more are incoming & I have no idea what there steppings will be.

Sorry to bring back this old thread, but I wanna know how good the 0622 stepping is.

:angel:

OT (but worth mentioning): I'm getting a CCB2E 0609FPMW soon (it's an X2 3800+! Never seen B2 on anything but FX, 4400+ and 4800+ so far), and... well... *cough* apparently 0608BPMW's exist as 4600+'s as well so I bought that one as well (if the seller didn't share some random pic, of course!)

It's strange that these "unknown" steppings suddenly show up, I never heard of that 4600+ 0608 before I saw the pic, and the same with the CCB2E.