will 2Gb + 1GB kits work together?

im looking to upgrade my ram to a 2GB kit soon, but have this great 1Gb kit already. so i was wondering if it would be possible to run the two together. i dont mind running at 2t, as long as i can do at least 200 (400DDR). so what is you guys opinion? will it work? if so will it bring my overclock down and require my voltage to the CPU (memcontroller)?

Thanks,

Charlie.

Nope they won't..

You'll have to get 4 of the same sticks..

As far as I know, they don't have to be the same.. it is recommended to have the same, though. My understanding was that the faster RAM would downclock to the speed of the slower RAM.

They dont "have" to be the same, but amd loves dual channel ram, so except your overclock to go down the drain. Also if one set of ram is slower than the other, one pair will have to be underclocked since they have to run at the same speed.

thanks for the replies guys. if it will work, its all i want. for what i do ram size matters over ram speed, and right now im running my ram at pc3200 speeds anyhow. im thinking of doing it like this:

1GB kit in orange slots, 2GB kit in yellow slots.

i see 2x 2GB kits as a waste since windows wont even see it all anyhow, hence my question. thanks guys, ive run odd sticks in pairs fine on nF2, just sisnt wont to try myself for hours and it not be possible in the first place.

Thanks,

Charlie.

Nope they won't..

You'll have to get 4 of the same sticks..

eh?

they wont?

better tell that to me, Rgone, and others who have already proved this to be nonsense

just because it WILL (or might!) doesn't mean its a good idea.

Your overclock will probably go way down. Tis always better to just get the 2GB kit and sell the 1GB (or put it in another machine that might already have 1GB and need another 1GB!)

thanks angry, advice taken. i had a feeling it would work, but didn't know the gory details. but knowing me and my bullheadedness i will probably try it anyway :D. besides, what kind of nerd would i be if i didn't try to push my computer under every possible configuration available?

by the way, this is the kit im getting:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?...N82E16820146034

so far i have gotten my apparently failing 1GB TCCD kit to work 11Hrs orthos stable in the blend test at 320x9 1.4v 166 div @ 3v. once i get the new ram and OCZ 700w to replace my 450w modstream, i will shoot for an OCDB entry. i know this is not my max as i have two limiting factors going on. i must admit though, this OCZ can take a beating :D.

EDIT:

i went to save that screen and saw where i had allready tested those settings! Grr. oh well, guess i will tighten down the timings now :).

guess it all depends on how much time you wont to spend on making them work. I have two systems here running mix ram. If you rewrite the spd the same they boot right up. they clock as good as the slowest set and at T1

i got gskill ddr600 2.5-4-4-8 LA ram 2x512

will i be able to get anther 2x512 so i got 4x512 in total

when installin em i heard on the dfi expert, which i've got, u have to put 1 stick in at a time, cos u have to get the memory timings spot on otherwise it wont run?

is this true?

i got gskill ddr600 2.5-4-4-8 LA ram 2x512

will i be able to get anther 2x512 so i got 4x512 in total

when installin em i heard on the dfi expert, which i've got, u have to put 1 stick in at a time, cos u have to get the memory timings spot on otherwise it wont run?

is this true?

running 4 sticks ant for the weak. Its not a good idea. Its aways best to sale your 512s and get 1 gig sticks. Running 4 sticks are a real pain in the $ss and most give up. T2 is a must to get it up and running. If there 4 matched sticks. If you dont know what every timing in the Bios does then dont try it