Moving RAID hard drives around

Scott P

Tomorrow, I plan on tearing down and rebuilding my main computer. The specs, as usual, are in my sig. I am replacing the 3700+ Sandy with an Opty 165 along with installing the XP-650 PSU I won a few months ago.

I am also changing my hard drive set-up around a little bit. Currently, I have the two Seagates in a RAID 1 array. I bought two 80 GB Hitachi's and plan on installing them in RAID 0. The two 300 GB drives will be split with one serving as a storage drive and the other as an external backup drive.

My question revolves around migrating the data currently on the two 300GB drives (about 40GB) over to the two 80 GB drives once they are set up and running in RAID 0.

From what I learned in Flash Chat (thanks to playah) was that I should be able to install the two 300 GB and have the array detected as long as it is on the same RAID controller. I am using the onboard NVRAID controller. The drives are currently on the SATA1 and SATA2 connectors. I assume I will be able to place them on SATA3 and SATA4 and still get detected?