USB rate increase, is it safe?

Doomz

Im intrested in increasing the USB rate with this NF4ultra and Logitec mx510. Problem is the programs that do this warn that this may damage Hardware. Im concerned about the USB ports and board, not really the mouse.

Does anyone know if this is safe to do with this board, and maybe if you know also about the other boards like NF3 etc.

The rate is default 125hz but many people change rate to 250 500 or 1000hz.

Also some mice like the G5 apparently change the USB rate to 500 or so with their drivers and software. This is why im confused because the programs warn its dangerous yet every G5 user must be doing 500hz on vairous motherboards without trouble?

I have tried 500hz for afew minutes, then reset and put it back to 125 then soon after playing a game i crashed/reset while at 125hz, but has never crashed again. That spooked me a little but I cant tell what caused the crash for sure.

Is 250 or 500hz safe on this board, if you have a good understanding of this please let me know, thanks.

Why do you want to increase it

Well the more expensive mouse, the G5, runs at 500 I think. So like overclocking anything, this is a way to make a cheap mouse behave like a more expensive one.

People are telling me that it makes a difference for getting those perfect shots in games, I think 500 felt better but Id like to try again to be sure. (according to the program my logitec was maxing out at 430hz)

I just thought it would be good if somebody with good technical knowledge of the board (usb ports) might know for sure whats safe, as I cant find any decent info other than the rate changer programs warning that "this may damage hardware"

all you are going to get with the USB 2.0 spec is 480mhz anyway and that is if you just leave the USB speed alone.. you should find that kind of USB bus speed acceptable..is way better than USB 1.1 specs.

This is what the speed warnings (i.e. device atached to a low speed or full speed USB port) your OS shows mean

* A Low Speed rate of 1.5 Mbit/s (187.5 KB/s)

* A Full Speed rate of 12 Mbit/s (1.5 MB/s).

* A Hi-Speed rate of 480 Mbit/s (60 MB/s).

:)

ok..hz.. the information provided below the error is accurate. check it out with reasearch for yourself.

If you increase the USB bus speed..the speed equates to an increase in current draw on the particular usb port as well as added OS or program instability. If you wish to see how much current draw each usb port has it can be done in the Device Manager.

all you are going to get with the USB 2.0 spec is 480mhz anyway and that is if you just leave the USB speed alone.. you should find that kind of USB bus speed acceptable..is way better than USB 1.1 specs.

This is what the speed warnings (i.e. device atached to a low speed or full speed USB port) your OS shows mean

* A Low Speed rate of 1.5 Mbit/s (187.5 KB/s)

* A Full Speed rate of 12 Mbit/s (1.5 MB/s).

* A Hi-Speed rate of 480 Mbit/s (60 MB/s).

:)

Well I am new to this USB rate thing but my understand of it is not like this.

How I am told how it works is at default the polling rate for a USB mouse will be 125hz so it will send updates of movement to the USB 125 times a second. I agree this is enough, but many claim the mouse is smoother at 500 updates a second or whatever. It is different to bandwidth usage, it is the Hz that the mouse is running at.

It works by changing a value in windows, which I think makes the mouse device send updates at a higher rate. Im not sure if this has any affect on the USB speed/bandwidth itself. The mouse itself would use more but thats nothing unusual and nothing near the 480mbit limit

This link explains a little http://www.truecarnage.com/readarticle.php?article_id=1

If you want to have a try I used programs here

USB mouse rate switcher 1.1 - google

Direct input mouse rate (to check rate realtime) if u can find it, I cant anymore.

• 1 month later...
Guest RohypnoL

USB Polling Rate (measured in hz) and Bandwidth (measured in mbits or mb/s) are two different things. Bandwidth is related to say.. transferring files to a flash drive.

Polling rate comes in when you have high performance mice like a Razer Copperhead or the like. The more hz (up to 1000) the more sensitive it is to little movements.

Usually you won't notice a difference between 125, 500 and 1K unless you play CSS or some other game where mouse precision is of the utmost importance.