Intel DFI Primer FAQ anywhere?

BuddTX

OK here is the deal, I have basicly maxed out my OC on my AMD 4800+, and at 100% CPU Utilization, I am hitting 58-63 C, with an occasional high of 65 C. (But it is running Prim95 stable at 2824 MHz!) And it does have a nice Thermaltake VENUS 12 80mm Ball CPU Cooler on it, and those temps are with the HSF wide open, running at max.

I really want to buy a 175 Opteron, to see I I can get the same speed at lower temps, and maybe even a higher speed (I want to join the 3G club!) but then I will want to "do something" with my 4800+ chip. (That means purchasing a new MB).

So, if I am going to buy a new MB and Chip, why buy a socket 939, as much as I love it. It seems that C2D is the way to go, and even hard core AMD fans seem to prefer the latest Intel C2D chips over AMD at this time.

So is there a FAQ or Primer anywhere so I can learn before I buy?

Like some mistakes I made with my current system:

I bought a "AMD Athlon 64 X2 4800+ Toledo" chip instead of an Opteron.

I purchased "SD RAM DDR 400 (PC 3200) I thought I could only buy that type of RAM, I did not realise that I could (and should have) purchase a higher speed DDR SD RAM. What type of RAM should I consider "over MB SPEC" ram?

What is the difference between LG 775 and Socket M?

Is DFI the "King" or "Da BOMB" of the Intel world, as it is on the AMD side?

And lastly, I am thinking, that if I can drop the MHz and Voltage on my 4800+ a bit, my temps might come down, I would still have an extremely fast PC, and I could wait 6-12 months and see what AMD will counter Intel with, and it might be "better/faster/cheaper" than a C2D.

While I appreciate any answers, I am really looking for a Primer or FAQ, as I really want to learn, before I ask questions, (I am usually the guy saying "USE THE SEARCH FUNCTION", but I have not found one.

Thanks,

You could try a better heatsink. I had a Venus 12 a long time ago on a 3500+ Venice. It wasn't worth a crap. Dropped my XP120 on it and lost 9C under load. I'm not a real big of of Tt heatsinks, but I love Thermalright. I should have the parts by the end of the week for my C2D build. I am putting an SI-128 on it. I may put my lapped (not perfect but not bad for a first try) XP120 in the FS section.

For all the talk and not useage of the core 2 chips there isn't one. But it's not much different than AMD land.

To address some of your specific questions. The best bang for the buck CPU seems to be the e6400 right now. There are Xeon versions of all the chips, however nobody really seems to be using them as the regular C2D chips are great.

As for those different sockets, not sure what a socket M is. Going to guess it's for server cpu's though as desktop boards are using LGA775.

Memory is fine at DDR2-800 as the 1:1 bus speed is 533MHz for the memory.

The DFI Infinity boards are great and the new LanParty boards should rule if the Anandtech review is anything to go off of.

You can of course wait, as things will keep getting newer / better / faster and that's of course up to you and if you really need a new computer now or later. Though a 2.8GHz A64 is nothing to scoff at and is plenty fast.

I upgraded from a 3000+ @ 2.4GHz so I really wanted/needed to do it weather C2D was out or not. I'd say you have a rather nice computer as it is now and to wait for that next newer / better / faster thing to come out.