Max Processor speed?

Guest Zanthros_merged

I imagine that you should be able to get to GGG but it takes time and lots of secondary memory timing changes.

Look in the database and try what others with similar hardware have had success with..

I just got my Opty and love it, never even considered a FX model..

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

So I take it that "the wall ids the wall" Eh?

lol, yeah, unless you enjoy spending 8 hrs to test one little change in maybe the memory timings. lol.

i still haven't overclocked my processor that I got nearly a month ago.. dammit Crucial, you and your stupid memory that failed.

if i had a goal to hit 3GHz (mine is 2.8-2.9, lol), then yeah I would get an Opteron.

Guest Zanthros
I imagine that you should be able to get to GGG but it takes time and lots of secondary memory timing changes.

Look in the database and try what others with similar hardware have had success with..

I just got my Opty and love it, never even considered a FX model..

Well I am looking to break that 3Ghz barrier and I have been as aggravated as one could imagine to get there. It bites the big one when you read of the possibilities of a processor (See the amd zone article about the overclock they did 3.6 Ghz on a MachII) but you should always consider the source. I have come to respect the info that I get here as it is real world stuff. I see ridiculous clams at some OC sites that leave me in awe ..... but read the fine print. I want a stable 24/7 system ...... how about you? Not just on that runs super pi 32m in under 25 seconds ... (@ 2979 stable for 8hs mine runs 25.406) I just "feel the need ..... the need for speed ...... STABLE 24/7!)

Guest Zanthros
Not just on that runs super pi 32m in under 25 seconds ... (@ 2979 stable for 8hs mine runs 25.406) I just "feel the need ..... the need for speed ...... STABLE 24/7!)

CORRECTION! 2979mhz super pi runs 28.406 ...... just got carried awaw in the rant .....

Oh dont get me wrong. If its not stable its not worth anything.

I have been testing constantly to find the personality of my CPU.

I do want to get to GGG at some point, but right now im tweaking at 2.7 to see how it gets along with my current set-up, and ill go up from there if it allows.

I run my system 24/7 as well, so if it takes some crazy voltage or loose timings to get and extra ~100mhz then id rather not have them. All I want is 2.7+ and im happy. Thats just my 2 cents.

Those processors could have been cherry-picked for review.. or like others have said, not stable.

Lots of people have varying terms to define "stable."

You could look up the stepping of your chip and see what other users are getting with it.

Guest Zanthros
Those processors could have been cherry-picked for review.. or like others have said, not stable.

Lots of people have varying terms to define "stable."

You could look up the stepping of your chip and see what other users are getting with it.

Ya Think? ..... ha ha ha ............ well so much for be naive . Yes you are right ..... There are many definitions of stable. Mine is 24/7 .. not just to run a test. Right now the FX is going thru the throws of a 24hr dual pie eating contest...... ha ha . hope that it survives. So it looks like I'll be waiting til May to looking into the next rig ....... when the true quad core comes out and see how it stacks up against the Intel chips.

If money isn't an object then why wouldn't you just get a core 2 duo? If you insist on 939 then I would suggest one of the opterons either a 165 or 170.

-BFG

Ya Think? ..... ha ha ha ............ well so much for be naive . Yes you are right ..... There are many definitions of stable. Mine is 24/7 .. not just to run a test. Right now the FX is going thru the throws of a 24hr dual pie eating contest...... ha ha . hope that it survives. So it looks like I'll be waiting til May to looking into the next rig ....... when the true quad core comes out and see how it stacks up against the Intel chips.

Yeah I'm so naive...

Guest Zanthros

I used to be in the Intel camp and I switched when AMD came out with the Barton core. Boy those 2500's and 2600 mobiles could run like no tomorrow.... and overclocking ..... well you know. I still have a couple of them in boxes that lay waiting to be run again. I guess it is like a sports team ..... do you drop your team when they are behind? And no I'm not a FANBOY as I can accept the truth but I just want to see what's just around the corner. But I tell ya ..... it had better be good or AMD will lose not only it's market share but it will lose it's respect as well.

Guest Zanthros

Yep ..... I was pretty naive of me to actually think I too could have one of those processors that would clock to 3.3 ghz on air cooling. LESSON LEARNED. It's just I guess that I expected more that what I got. I guess that I should consider myself lucky to get what I got out of this one. I still think that it's B.S. Perhaps a QX6700 would be "the" thing to have but in a short time it too will be yesterday just as all things become. The real lesson I guess is that " you get what you get ..... anything else is a bonus ..... if you get more ... it is a bigger bonus.

Yep ..... I was pretty naive of me to actually think I too could have one of those processors that would clock to 3.3 ghz on air cooling. LESSON LEARNED. It's just I guess that I expected more that what I got. I guess that I should consider myself lucky to get what I got out of this one. I still think that it's B.S. Perhaps a QX6700 would be "the" thing to have but in a short time it too will be yesterday just as all things become. The real lesson I guess is that " you get what you get ..... anything else is a bonus ..... if you get more ... it is a bigger bonus.

If only more people could learn to see things this way..