No stress tests will pass at stock clock speeds?

niall

HI guys, I'm new to AMD overclocking so I've been reading up on all of the excellent threads and guides in these forums. Great site guys, this is an amazing resource and I don't think there's anything else quite as good out there right now! :)

I just built a s939 rig 1 week ago, and I've had a few too many crashes. Mostly just in Company of Heroes, which seems to be relatively buggy anyway, so I didn't think too much of it. But before I start overclocking I decided to do a full run of stress testing at stock speeds to make sure I had a known baseline, and I can't pass any of them!

SuperPi mod1.5 XS - single instance or one for each core with affinity, 32M test errors out with "NOT EXACT IN ROUND" or "NOT CONVERGENT IN SQR05". Just now the second instance exited with the former so I restarted it and then got a BSOD about 20 seconds later.

OCCT v1.0.2 - 30m tests results in "Crashed" with 27m to go.

Prime95 v24.14 - 2 shortscuts with -A0/-A1 and affinity, running custom @400M each, both error out on the first test after a few mins with "FATAL ERROR: Rounding was 0.5, expected less than 0.4".

3DMark01, 03, 05 and 06 all run fine. Most other games and apps have been fine.

memtest86+ v1.65 (Ubuntu) runs fine with no errors after several loops.

I'm running Everest v3.50.761 Ultimate Edition 2006 for monitoring, which itself has crashed several times on startup so I've repeated all tests with no temperature monitoring or any other apps running and I get the same errors.

Socket 939 4600+ @2.4Ghz, DFI Infinity SLI, 2 * 512M Corsair TwinXPro3200XL (2-2-2-5), Corsair hx620 PSU, Hyper6 cooler with AS5, CMStacker case with 4 * 120mm fans, cool ambient temps of 25-26degC (aircon) and plenty of airflow around the case. Stock voltages: CPU 1.30V, DIMM 2.58V, Chipset 1.54V. Mobo 42degC, CPU cores are about 37-39degC idle and 47-52degC at load.

A little concerning eh? Brand new CPU, new motherboard, PSU and video card, RAM I've been using with no problems for about 2 years in my old rig. Anyone got any suggestions? Is there any way I can isolate this and confirm it's the CPU or Mobo? Should I RMA it? Any ideas? :sad:

Stress test programs failing that fast is most likely memory related. Check the Stock Speed Database and Overclocking Database for memory and board similar to yours for suggested settings.

Voltage can be tuned just like the timings. It helps to think of it as just another setting that needs to be adjusted for stability. Too much or little and your out of luck.

I had the same thing with my corsair memory. Would only be stable at 2.8v. I did manage to push it up to 219MHz (DDR438) using 3-3-3-8 timings and it was stable for Super PI and Memtest and even in games but not Prime!

So iv'e stopped playing Prime:-)