Possible upgrade to Opty 165 please help.

ibex333

If you re going to buy new ram then you might as well as go with a c2d2. The cost of upgrading to a c2d2 would only be $120-$130. (basically a new motherboard plus $20 for the cost different between an opt165 and e6300.

I switched from an san diego 3700 to an opt 165 a couple of weeks ago. My san diego was running at 2.6ghz and the opty 165 is at 2.7. Note that (a) I just picked convenient numbers and did not try to push either chip to max; (B) I used stock cooler and stock voltage.

Anyways that's my 1ct comment. If you are going to spend anything more than the cost of the chip you are better off going with c2d2.

[btw i followed wevsspot and uinstalled the amd device driver; shut the sytem down; replace the chip and installed the new device driver - i did not reinstall windows - all seems to be fine].

What kinda setup are you talking about newbie? I'm just curious. If he wants to go the "cheap route", then I'm sure he can get a C2D system for the prices your talking and you'll get what you pay for......but since he's already got a good quality mobo in his possession all he needs is a good CPU and RAM (and PSU, but that's another issue).......but I haven't priced C2D systems lately and am really clueless what they are going for these days.

E6300=$185, but poor ocer's from what I've heard, a "decent" mobo is around $100+, cheapest RAM DDR2 667mhz is $190. Around the same price (at least $475 + shipping) as upgrading his....I wonder how well the 2 systems would compare.....

I'm just curious.......

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest anewb ie

Per conroe post folks are getting well over 3ghz with the e6300 on s3 ($110), d3 ($145) and p5b-e ($150) mb using 800 ram ($209 for 2gig). The e6300 can be found for $170.

Note the p5b-e has voltage limitation for the ram so if you go with this board be careful with regards to the ram you select (the gigabyte are better in this respect but the p5b-e has other features (more sata ports, firewire, ...).

--

Anyways I'm happy with my ultra-d and with his video card I'm not sure he would see any benefits in going c2d2. I'm not even sure what sort of games he plays or why he has a need to upgrade.

For me - I have two systems - the ultra-d is for games. I did upgrade the cpu and i will upgrade the video card when the dx10 become mainstream. The other sytsem is a p5b-e. Note that this system is not overclocked and not used for games (and does not run windows). If I had to rebuild it i would probably go with the less expensive gigabyte s3. I have no complaints with the p5b-e but nor do i think it is the perfect (or best) value board.

Guest anewb ie

ibex333:

let me repeat this - with your video card you will probably not see any benefits in upgrading the cpu. The only reason (imho) to upgrade the cpu is if you intend to upgrade the video in the future and you are concern that dual core 939 cpu will vanish from the market place.

C2D as you are going to want to upgrade everything anyway. The DFI is actually one of the best deals for over clocking according to many. There are some other boards that sometimes give a better overclock but you often need expensive memory to go with it on top of a higher price tag and the great support from DFI really should be considered in the 'value' of a MB. I am waiting right now too though not very patiently.

That actually isn't a bad PSU for old systems and might well have more power overall than many of the popular 550W PSU's. But at least for the older models it is on the wrong rails- the 3.3 and 5V rails are barely used right now. Which version do you have? The old one with only a 20 pin connector instead of the new model with 24 (20+4) connect is massively underpowered on the 12 volt rail.

C2D as you are going to want to upgrade everything anyway. The DFI is actually one of the best deals for over clocking according to many. There are some other boards that sometimes give a better overclock but you often need expensive memory to go with it on top of a higher price tag and the great support from DFI really should be considered in the 'value' of a MB. I am waiting right now too though not very patiently.

That actually isn't a bad PSU for old systems and might well have more power overall than many of the popular 550W PSU's. But at least for the older models it is on the wrong rails- the 3.3 and 5V rails are barely used right now. Which version do you have? The old one with only a 20 pin connector instead of the new model with 24 (20+4) connect is massively underpowered on the 12 volt rail.

Ahh so many contradictory opinions. And my final decision is... To do nothing. I'll wait untill DX10 cards are avalable for $300 or less, and then I'll upgrade to whatever midrange CPU that will be popular at that time.

I guess my urge to upgrade was purely in the "I want it just because I do" category. But do I really NEED to upgrade? No not really, at least untill I wont be able to use something that I NEED.

My biggest reason to upgrade was that I can still get some money for my old components by selling them... But then how much can I really get by selling my CPU, mobo and PSU? No more than $70 I bet. Not even worth it.

Waiting is not all bad and re4ally you can get by for a long time on what you have if you game the biggest limitation is the Video card for 95% of the games.

You can get a get a card that will work on a diffrent MB and same for the PSU there are often some great deals on the OCZ and FSP which are great PSU's/

Seriously what verson is your TT PSU and how many amps do you have on the 12 volt rail?

• 2 months later...

Sorry to resurrect an old post guys, but I though I shouldnt start a new thread about this....

Anyway, after listening to many people on anandtech that my CPU will not bottleneck a g80 "much", I pulled the trigger and got the 700w OCZ GameXstream and a eVGA 8800GTS 640mb. (yeah I know the PSU is too much but I wanted to be futureproof)

To my dismay, I quickly found out that my g80 is pushing a max of 30fps on all games. Right away I got many people on forums telling me that I'm bottlenecked by my CPU.. I have to get a better one, but I only have $400 now for an upgrade... No way I can get 2gig RAM, C2D CPU and a good overclocking mobo on that budget.

Some people suggested X2 4200 S939, but it's out of stock on egg right now, and they only have the OEM one.

Please answer my questions:

1) What's the fastest processor I can get right now, if I only have $400 and I still need 2 gig ram + good cooler?

2)If I get this processor will I get over the bottleneck right away or only after the OC? (I'd prefer NOT to OC immediately after the purchase)

3)How long whatever you are suggesting me will last? I'd really like this thing to last me at least 2 years from purchase, meaning it will handle all games/apps for next 2 years.

4)I still have AS5 left in that little "syringe" after using it 2 years ago when I was building my current system... Does that stuff dry up/expire, or I can use that even now?

5)Yet again I'm screwed memory wise. All the 2x 1gig DDR500 memory avalable on newegg is well over $200 which is not acceptable. Do you know of any decent memory for my mobo that's closer to $200 or less that would allow an OC for the CPU?

6)What cooler should I get? (must be easy to install and have HS/F)

It's only getting 30 fps on all games?, something don't sound right, w/my current sys and a 7900GTO the only game that drops me that low is RS:Vegas, forgot what I got in Oblivion, that's at 1200x1600.

I know you said your not looking to OC right away, but this opty 165 was so easy to push to 2.6GHz on stock v's haven't tried for more because of heat.

This ram is looking decent for budget,

http://www.diy-street.com/forum/showthread.php?t=73587

maybe a TR Ultra 120

My sig needs updating

Sorry to resurrect an old post guys, but I though I shouldnt start a new thread about this....

Anyway, after listening to many people on anandtech that my CPU will not bottleneck a g80 "much", I pulled the trigger and got the 700w OCZ GameXstream and a eVGA 8800GTS 640mb. (yeah I know the PSU is too much but I wanted to be futureproof)

To my dismay, I quickly found out that my g80 is pushing a max of 30fps on all games. Right away I got many people on forums telling me that I'm bottlenecked by my CPU.. I have to get a better one, but I only have $400 now for an upgrade... No way I can get 2gig RAM, C2D CPU and a good overclocking mobo on that budget.

Some people suggested X2 4200 S939, but it's out of stock on egg right now, and they only have the OEM one.

Please answer my questions:

1) What's the fastest processor I can get right now, if I only have $400 and I still need 2 gig ram + good cooler?

2)If I get this processor will I get over the bottleneck right away or only after the OC? (I'd prefer NOT to OC immediately after the purchase)

3)How long whatever you are suggesting me will last? I'd really like this thing to last me at least 2 years from purchase, meaning it will handle all games/apps for next 2 years.

4)I still have AS5 left in that little "syringe" after using it 2 years ago when I was building my current system... Does that stuff dry up/expire, or I can use that even now?

5)Yet again I'm screwed memory wise. All the 2x 1gig DDR500 memory avalable on newegg is well over $200 which is not acceptable. Do you know of any decent memory for my mobo that's closer to $200 or less that would allow an OC for the CPU?

6)What cooler should I get? (must be easy to install and have HS/F)

1) I would get an Opteron 170/175 for around $200-$230. That way you can buy PC3200 RAM, which is probably more plentiful and cheaper.

2) Getting that low doesn't seem right, like Playah said. Something isn't right.

3) My AXP rig is still kickin' with a 9600, it gets 60fps on CSS if I turn the settings down to medium, and it's over two years old. So I would say quite possibly it would last for the next 1-2 years.

4) Shouldn't expire. I found a tube in the back of my drawer (nothing's in the back unless I forget about it, which I don't usually do) and I finished it off on a 3700+. Temps were fine.

5) PC3200 is the key if you're getting a 170/175. Heck, I've seen people run PC3200 with Opteron 165's.

6) Coolers? I'd rec the Tuniq Tower, TT Big Typhoon, and the Thermalright Ultra 120. But as far as I know, the first two require you to remove the motherboard. Dunno about the Thermalright. They all go for around $50. If you want less, my AC Freezer Pro 64 is around $20, and provides adequate cooling performance. Or the Scythe Infinity, I think it's called, for around $30? Something like that.

The 120's also require removal of the mobo, thats one way to kill an afternoon:drool:

Slight side note, I'm also upgrading to an opty165, ccbbe stepping in the mail. What are these AMD optimizer / driver installers that need to be ran?