4 x 512MB ... windows sees only 1GB

All right - I have a problem that kind of confuses me...

Originally, I use ram listed in my sig as 2 x 512MB @ 2.5 3 3 6

...I got another 2 sticks of the same tccd ram from ocz - but rated as DDR533 - all good (timings: 2.5 3 3 8)...

I took out my old ram, put in the new ram, booted into windows...all working fine with 2.5 3 3 6 settings as well (dropped speed from 266 down to 248 which is what I usually use)...

Now.....I go into bios, set cpc to 2T (since I will be using all 4 slots), I boot up with all 4 sticks of ram (now a total of 2GB), 2.5 3 3 6 @ 248mhz

.....but...windows only recognizes 1GB of ram, where as cpu-z recognizes 2GB - every other program I used to see whats up: system properties, everest, sisoft sandra - they all show 1GB of ram, and so does the system task manager....

What is wrong ? ....Im really confused

....the sticks, even though I can run them both at same timings and speeds are simply not working well together....ive tested all the slots, sticks by themselves, but they simply won't work well together....

im able to go into windows, but its not recognizing the new sticks - just the 1gb i already had......

im confused............

I had the same with different brands of memory, but as one set would clock much higher than the other I steeled for just having 1GB of ballistix.

I understand that these boards do not like 4 sticks of any size so you are better sticking to what works or shelling out for a 2x1Gb dual channel kit.

This four stick conundrum is exactly why most people went for 2x1gig and get the majority of headaches out of the way...

The situation is well enough known that DFI even bothered to make FAQ about it. http://www.dfi.com.tw/Support/mb_faq_us1.j...TYPE=US&SITE=US Purchase memory all sticks at the same time. Also means all memory should be the same size.

Now we know you did not buy both sets of memory at the same time...that is out of the way.

Ocz Plat Rev2 has been around for a long time...meaning it came out a long time ago...however the IC's that make up the memory could possibly have gone thru a morph from TCCD to TCC5 and the SPD is not necessarily the same since they loosened the timings toward the end of production of the Plat 2's.

Perhaps it is possible to take the SPD from the "later" sticks and put that same SPD on the earlier sticks and the four sticks would most likely all be seen and recognized and then would come the serious need to tweak for stability and performance...that about covers it unless the memory controller in the CPU is defected and I do not see that often...not out of the realm of possible...just don't see it often.

RGone...:confused:

One pair of ram I have has spd timings rated @ 2 2 2 5 while the 2nd kit has spd timings rated @ 2.5 4 4 11 I believe, or something like that (even though the sticks are rated @ 2.5 3 3 8) - so if SPD mismatch might cause this issue to come up - that is to be the issue I am experiencing

Well boot and be recognized with the modern bios and APIC and ACPI...different SPD's will certainly dump the deal...

RGone...:confused:

One pair of ram I have has spd timings rated @ 2 2 2 5 while the 2nd kit has spd timings rated @ 2.5 4 4 11 I believe, or something like that (even though the sticks are rated @ 2.5 3 3 8) - so if SPD mismatch might cause this issue to come up - that is to be the issue I am experiencing