Help with Northbridge cooling on DFI NF4-D

spiroh

So I guess I will need to do this when i get my new Expert in the mail? I don't have any AS5 or 7 for that matter, but what I use the cheap stuff from Radio Shack. How much do I put on there? I will run prime95 and tell everyone the differences made by using different thermal compounds. I have heard also that the stock fans are loud and noisy and that some even burn up, is this true? If so, here comes an aftermarket cooler!

Jacob

I used plyers.

For obvious reasons, I can't recommend doing this, I am just saying what worked for me. You scratch the board, and you're screwed.

Normally I use my nail. Hard enough to get that stuff off, not hard enough to mess up the board if my finger slips.

So I guess I will need to do this when i get my new Expert in the mail? I don't have any AS5 or 7 for that matter, but what I use the cheap stuff from Radio Shack. How much do I put on there? I will run prime95 and tell everyone the differences made by using different thermal compounds. I have heard also that the stock fans are loud and noisy and that some even burn up, is this true? If so, here comes an aftermarket cooler!

Jacob

With the cheap stuff from RS it really doesn't matter. Put on a thin layer to cover the core and your set. Simpler that application of AS.

As for the chipset cooler, they can be loud if running at full speed or when cycling up and down. You can set it at low speed all the time, or if you need to replace it get the Evercool VR-E (IIRC). It's fairly quiet and cools better from what I hear. Or if you want passive cooling you can get the Thermalright HR-05. Not sure if you need the regular or the SLI version for your board - check around. I think either one might work, but I don't remember for sure.