Serious cpu heat issues

Vette

Has anyone else noticed the very random inaccuracy of the X/G's temp sensor versus coretemp (easily the most dependable temp sensor). For some it's 6 degrees over coretemp (me) and for some it's 5-7C below coretemp and almost none right on. Weird.

so i took it out and started feeling around and when ive got orthos chuggin, the heatsink is relatively cool but i can stick my finger by the base and I feel extreme heat radiating from the cpu, so much so that the mosfets and the northbridge are too hot to touch for long. so obviously contact is an issue. i checked for flat surfaces using a razor blade(not sure if this is a precise instrument, i dont have a metal engineers ruler.) and i saw light on both the heatsink and the cpu. either the razorblade was concave or the cpu and the heatsink are. im gonna try my intel heatsink later today. what kind of temps should i expect with the stock(so i can see if im getting good contact).

sorry about my sig, new rig, havent updated.

ps - i miss the 478 HS bracket. best bracket EVER. clip clip done.

At stock clocks and stock volts my E6600 ran 26C at idle and 42-43C after eight hours of Orthos. Yes, there is definitely a difference between the BIOS reported temperatures and the DualCore Temp utility. On my board the DCT utility reports 5-7C HOTTER than the BIOS temperature reports.

Ok so i put my stock intel heatsink on this puppy, made sure it was seated nicely, fired her up. I got into windows, and fired up coretemp. I then recived a message saying "Your Cpu is Overheating!!!!!!! Shutdown Immediately!". then the temps came up. core#0 was 86 degrees and core#1 was ONE HUNDRED TWENTY FIVE DEGREES! I slam my finger down on the power button and hold it till the system shuts down improperly. The heatsink is almost too hot to touch. I pull it off and the only areas with arctic silver on it are all the edges with a bald spot in the middle the size of a nickel.

So I've come to the conclusion that I need to RMA my CPU. What a pain in my butt.

Thanks for your help guys.

Sounds like you have a processor with a concave IHS. Yes, that is definitely a PITA. And the stock Intel cooler base probably isn't so flat either.

Sorry about the bad luck. But hey, that's what warranties are for right :)

Send that sucker back and get you a good one. Best of luck Vette.

Happy New Year - Cheers.