Warm boot issue turns to no POST issue with overclocking

Thraxz

I'm not one to go around getting angry at my hardware everytime it doesn't work. It usually takes a few weeks of not being able to figure it out and that's pretty much where I am right now.

I've been piddling with it for a few weeks with a few minor issues that involved hardware other than the board. I overclocked it to 3ghz really easily with the stock cooler. I couldn't push it past 345FSB with the stock cooler and I passed that off to the high 60's CPU temps when priming. Now that I have it under water it's always below 55C including 8 hours of Orthos. Then, I STILL couldn't get it to POST. I passed it off as a BIOS issue. So I loaded up the 11/15/06 BIOS and now not only does it STILL NOT POST, it won't read my IDE.

I'm getting quite upset with it.

SO... I'm running out of ideas.

Little help here!

http://www.dfi-street.com/forum/showpost.p...83&postcount=39

primeb1tw1.th.jpg

This board has done the following:

-Booted nicely with DDR800 ram and overclocked it successfully through 900MHz.

-overclocked my E6600 through 3.0GHz with ease

-primed at 350FSB for over 8 hours

-stopped reading my IDE optical drives for no reason

This board has NOT done :

-booted overclocked past 3.16GHz.

-POSTed at over 350FSB

-POSTed with reasonable consistency over 345FSB

-Kept me happy

So you have removed everything & left it on a CMOS reset for @ least a few hours & still no go?

Shorted the CMOS battery terminals?

Held your tongue in your left cheek? :)

I can only compare your OCDB settings to mine, but WHEN you get it running again, i'd say back off the PCI-E bus a little, & leave all RAM settings on auto, 400/533 divider, while you explore the FSB range.

Good luck.

I'm just trying not to be a total dick and RMA a good board over overlooking something.

Yeah, OCZ just overnighted the pair of ddr1000 modules to me that were supposed to go in this board, however, I'm 100% certain that it's not the ram. It's primed at high 800MHz and even when JUST over 700MHz it still won't boot up. It's FSB related even if it's not directly the FSB causing it all. I'll give the RAM a shot.

BTW pushing the PCIe to 120MHZ just bumped my GFX overclock to higher than it's even been stable. 766/855.

Hope the RAM sorts it out for you.

btw, i wasn't suggesting you try anything 'dodgy' getting the 'board swapped out - i've worn my share of broken hardware due to 'mis-adventures' ;)

PCI-E @ 120? - the ATI's must like it like that eh? I tried upto about 118 i think, but it was getting pretty flaky during 3DMark.

Hey - good to hear it's up & running again.

I had cold-boot issue back with 9/13 BIOS - had to hit reset button every time to get it to boot.

With this one (C15) it boots up 100%, warm or cold boot.

I guess that just a different combo of h/w is where the variable lies.

thraxz I have the issue too, I did not have it with my es and ati 1900xt in place though. Now I am running retail e6600 and an 8800gtx wth all else being equal.

I can reset cmos and build the board upslowly to boot up at 455fsb and it will orthos blend all day long. But as soon as I reboot anything over 430 fsb won't work. So I have to resort to using clockgen.

I have a feeling there's a start up order in the bios code and voltage application upon boot that causing the issue with certain combinations of hardware...

I never had this problem at all with es and 1900xt, boot up 455fsb at 1.85vnb every time. with retail and the 8800gtx it's a pia...

regards

Raja

glad you got there for the most part, I dunno if some kind of f_tester is required fo the bios, I've tried the latest beta and even still it remains with this combo..

btw, seeing as you've expressed an interest in vnb modding, hows this for a good nb temp at idle....?

Load is 34 i'll post that up too later...

nbtempsyw8.th.jpg

combo is nb water block and a fan blowing over it. That's the way I keep my stuff from dying. You wanna do this then you gotta take these precautions..

cpu temp at 204 mean -50 or so on the cpu, 255 is -1.

regards

raja

edit: load temps, this holds under orthos load...

nbtemps1xt3.th.jpg