4 pin FD connection on MB

Tarawa

Has anyone used the 4 pin connector on the Motherboard? It's supposed to increase stability when using 2 video cards but I was wondering if anyone has tried it to get a more stable OC using just one card.

Done. :) A bit warm to OC too much.

A quick question for you, HG. I can boot almost every time from 375 to 385 at the 533 divider. I get stuck, however at 388 on the 400 divider. I think it's my RAM being 5300. Would the fact I can boot that high indicate if I got some 6400 or 8000 that I could break through the 400 FSB mark?

Stop and think and reason about what you just said and asked...you can answer your ownself.

533 buss strapped and can boot to 375ish...question arises would faster memory allow more FSB? Logical answer is to drop from 533 strapping to 400 and lower the memory speed and see if a higher FSB like 388 works...IF NOT...memory will not help you...not much more diagnostic simple than that...

RGone...:confused:

Done. :) A bit warm to OC too much.

A quick question for you, HG. I can boot almost every time from 375 to 385 at the 533 divider. I get stuck, however at 388 on the 400 divider. I think it's my RAM being 5300. Would the fact I can boot that high indicate if I got some 6400 or 8000 that I could break through the 400 FSB mark?

Stop and think and reason about what you just said and asked...you can answer your ownself.

533 buss strapped and can boot to 375ish...question arises would faster memory allow more FSB? Logical answer is to drop from 533 strapping to 400 and lower the memory speed and see if a higher FSB like 388 works...IF NOT...memory will not help you...not much more diagnostic simple than that...

RGone...:confused:

Doesn't that assume that the 5300 can take it? As I said when going down to the 400 divider is when the problems start. The stock timings for 667 are 44412. That would mean taking it down to CAS2 for the 400 divider to work right, doesn't it? If it was DDR2 1000 dropped to 533 that wouldn't make a difference?

I have the Corsair 620 W PSU and I am not sure how to to attach to the 4 pin power connector. The manual for the PSU says nothing about a 5v/12v connector. I know that some people here have used this PSU so any help would be much appreciated.

What you want is a power plug that would go into a floppy drive.

• 3 weeks later...

My friend was testing power supplies the other day, to rule out a power supply error. Anyways, he unplugged all the major power adapters (cpu, 24-pin, etc) but left the CD drives and fans and everything else connected to his old PSU, including this 4-pin connector. He plugged the main things back into his new PSU, and booted up. Everything that was connected to his old PSU (including the fan and LED inside it) turned on at seemingly low power. He shut off the system, and unplugged the 4-pin floppy connector and tried again. This time, nothing connected to the old PSU turned on. This made us think that the plug could poissibly supply power off the motherboard also, not only onto it? Just wanted to share this with you guys.

My friend was testing power supplies the other day, to rule out a power supply error. Anyways, he unplugged all the major power adapters (cpu, 24-pin, etc) but left the CD drives and fans and everything else connected to his old PSU, including this 4-pin connector. He plugged the main things back into his new PSU, and booted up. Everything that was connected to his old PSU (including the fan and LED inside it) turned on at seemingly low power. He shut off the system, and unplugged the 4-pin floppy connector and tried again. This time, nothing connected to the old PSU turned on. This made us think that the plug could poissibly supply power off the motherboard also, not only onto it? Just wanted to share this with you guys.

It would make me believe that the PSU was bad..

the reason? --> the only thing that is supposed to make the PSU turn on, assuming it is plugged in, is a power Ok signal from the MOBO power logic circuits..that is how they are designed..

Otherwise carefully jumpstarting the PSU with a wire ( between the proper pins on the 20/24 pin connector)should power the sucker up.. Nothing else should do that with a healthy PSU.