super-pi failing but other tests are stable, what gives?

sk88erguy

See post #11.... You can set processor affinity for any program using the task manager. Basically to assure both cores are fully utilized with SuperPI, you run two copies (out of different directories), and before starting the test, you go to "processes" in Task Manager, right click each of the two copies, and select a CPU affinity for each one on a different processor.

I personally use SuperPI for quick stability testing, and Prime95 for extended torture testing. I've generally found that if I can do 32m SuperPI, then 8hours Prime95 is just a formality.

However, the original poster doesn't have a dual core, and thus wouldn't need to run two copies. My point was, however, that SuperPI *does* give an "Out of Round" error if something is interfering with its data files while it is running.

running two instances of super-PI is not necessary.

I disagree. I've had several instances on this board, where two instances of SuperPi failed when one would not. Every time that happened, a slight uppage in VCore solved the issue. Depending on background applications, one instance of SP only uses ~50-60% of the CPU, whereas when I run two instances I get a full 100%. To me, running two instances of 32M SP is just another solid stability test.