need help 7950GT or X1950XT?

godlyatheist

I'm pretty sure that the x1950xt 256mb is marginally faster than the 7950gt. I'm a bit biased towards nvidia, mostly due to their better linux support. There are also many different choices for 7950gt's that come with *good* quiet stock coolers, and even passive ones like the xfx model. The 7950 is also a bit cheaper, not much, but it is cheaper.

In all honesty, you'd be fine with either, its a matter of which brand you like better and if you can find an extra good deal.

The choice is yours

Edit: My bad, I wasn't thinking clearly, I was thinking about the x1900xt 256mb which is on par with the 7950gt. The x1950xt *is* significantly faster.

Depends on your monitor size and screen reso really, If you have a 19" and 1600x1200 res or lower the X1950XT will pretty much stomp all over a 7950GT regardless of memory size. I am in the market for a new video card and every bit of information/review/specification I look at shows the X1950XT beating anything from nVidia except the 7900GTX and the new 8800 cards.

considering the 8800 GTS is around the same price as the 1950XT-X you would be a fool to get anything else, buy now save later! in the long run it makes the most sense and if money is tight then its worth saving up a little more! otherwise the 1900 XT or 7900 GTO would be your best bet!

Here is a neat little configurator I saw over at THG that can give some interesting results and help you narrow down which card you might want.

nVidia 7 series cards can only use either HDR OR AA,but not both at same time, ATI X1950 cards can use both. Perhaps not a big deal, but information worth looking into.