Spare rig

catkicker

Since I gave up my spare rig to my most deserving wife:angel: I decided to breakout some parts and do a little trading and buyng so I could get myself another spare rig.

Purpose, To be for OC'ing fun and high performance, for gaming.

Specs. and cost of items

DFI NF3 250gb originally paid $108.00 april 05

250gbwa1.jpg

3400+ mobile dtr clawhamer $60.00

3400clawxv4.jpg

1 gig of OCZ PC4800 EL Plat Ltd.Edition $90.00

oczen0.jpg

PNY 6800Ultra AGP $200.00

pnyvertogeforce6800ultrlp0.jpg

OCZ 520 powerstream $70.00

oczpsujy7.jpg

Cheiftec matrix tower

cheiftecwh0.jpg

or smething new maybe this http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?...N82E16811119115

Cooling

CPU Vigor Monsoon II $129.00 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?...N82E16835702001

VGA Zalman's Fatal1ty FC-ZV9 ebay purchase NIB $27.00

http://www.svc.com/zm-fc-zv9.html

vgacoolerhf2.jpg

$687.00 total cost of build, if i use my old cheiftec tower. I do like that coolermaster case. I just happen to have one sitting here next to me, but it's for a build I'm doing for someone.

coolermasterelitesk9.jpg

I have some 120mm fans, 160gig HD and liteon combo to finish it off.

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest mori-kun

if you have/are getting the 6800ultra then that zalman is definetly a good idea....those cards run HOT just at stock and have one of the worst to clean stock coolers(i hated the fan on it) i ended up puting one of these on mine

:P You know what Elites I mean... The OCZ Platinum pc4800 Elites... I have a pair I am selling and was wondering where he got em for $90. Must have been a while ago when the prices were dropping... :rolleyes:

I know you were talking about the OCZ mem. Actually the mem. just arrived the other day.:)

The coolermaster elite case was purchased at compusa on friday.

if you have/are getting the 6800ultra then that zalman is definetly a good idea....those cards run HOT just at stock and have one of the worst to clean stock coolers(i hated the fan on it) i ended up puting one of these on mine

I've had the 6800ultra for about 8 months. The first thing I did with it was replace the stock cooler.

That CPU Vigor Monsoon II is pretty huge, will it be ok on a naked chip? And is it really worth $130?

I think it will be fine on the naked chip.

For $150 you can get a reasonable DangerDen kit...

My feelings are yep I can spend $123.00 on the vigor and get better results then my best WC'ing setup and not have the same old hassles of setting up WC'ing. I'm getting rather tired of WC'ing, don't get me wrong it works great I'm just tired of dealing with it. The vigor is far easier to install and uninstall and move to another rig then WC'ing. The temps I'm seeing posted here by street members who have the Vigor MonsoonII tells me it's a great cooling solution.

• 2 weeks later...

the last componet arrived yesterday

vigoreb3.jpg

And I now have a 2nd one of these so the which case to use situation is solved

coolermasterelitesk9.jpg

I ordered some red led 120mm fans and a 92mm fan. After I test the vigor monsoon with the stock fan I'm thinking about changing the fan on the monsoon to a red led fan.

Not going to do much modding on this case other then taking the window off a wavemaster case and installing it in the elite side pannel.

Will replace the rear 120mm fan with a red led and install a 120mm led in the front of the case.

I will say I'm tempted to try my hand at stealthing the dvd combo. It would be nice to have the front look just like it is.

After I test the vigor monsoon with the stock fan I'm thinking about changing the fan on the monsoon to a red led fan.

Kicker, you may want to rethink that one. I have been following the forum posts regarding the Monsoon. From what the rep has said on this forum, the fan is somewhat proprietary in the way it works with the TEC unit. The TEC unit seems to control the fan speed. When asked if the unit could be modded for a different fan, the rep seemed to indicate that that would not be a good thing to do.

This unit caught my interest for all the reasons you mentioned. However, there seems to be 2 versions of this unit. The M2I version and the M2A version. Which did you purchase from the Egg ??

And does any one know what the differences / improvements are between the 2 versions ?

After reading user posts on this unit, it seems to cool as well as a high quality air cooler. For the money spent, my Big Typhoon has been a great cooler. However, the earlier reviews of the Monsoon seem to indicate that the Monsoon really wouldn't get me much lower temps over the Typhoon. I'm interested to learn if the new version Monsoon is more efficient than the first version.

PS. Nice case. I just ordered one from SVC after reading Happy's post about his rebuild for Momma. Nice sale on the case at SVC with rebate. I'm planning on building a 2nd pc for my wife and I'm trying to make as quiet and powerful as possible.