Quick Overclocking Question

red930

After installing my board and reading Thunda's "THE Definitive Guide" stuff... I got to work on overclocking my rig.

So I set my LDT to 3, ram on a 1/2 divider, and start with 1.36v. Got to 2.53GHz (228x11) as my max OC on 1.36v. Bump it up to 1.376v, and shoot for 230x11 just to make sure. No dice. Nothing after 1.36v works for me.

Every setting was reduced to the point where it wouldn't (or at least shouldn't) cause any interference with OC.

Now, I think I did read somewhere that a CPU "burns" itself in over time.. as in it will "adapt" to the setting it was run at. Mine was run at stock EVERYTHING for the past seven months... for instance, I can't change the multi to 10 (to underclock the system to 2GHz) without the system not even POSTing. I can boot into Windows at every HTT setting I put it at (max I tried before getting fed up was 2.8ghz at 1.4v). Boots into Windows, but fails Prime95 within five seconds. Yeah. I got fed up and gave up.

Any thoughts as to why my CPU isn't going anywhere over 1.36v? It's frustrating the heck out of.. especially since most users pull off 2.8GHz. I'm not saying I'm guaranteed that, and I could have a dud, but I've got a KACAE chip.. one of the supposedly better ones, equivalent to a CCBBE.

Thanks for any input.

lol.. i was just rly pissed that it wouldn't clock anywhere if i set the volts above 1.36. i know ill be safe up there, i was just wondering why others with the same chip and stepping achieved 2.8ghz on 1.4v and i was stuck at 2.513 on only 1.36v... i could have a dud but who knows.

thanks for the input, will try on wednesday. i wish ups would be faster and deliver my opty 165 on wednesday so i could play with that instead.

man, if you're getting 2.5 on 1.36 it sounds like you have a good chip to me.

My last AMD single core did 2.6 on 1.55 volts and the next one (Opteron 165) didn't even make it that far. Try 1.45 and see where your fsb wall is then...