Windows crashes every time on startup HELP

I have Windows XP Home, running on a A64 x2 4200+ and 2gb of OCZ low-latency platinum RAM. I had a stable overclock, seen in my sig, and everything was working fine until today. Now, when Windows starts up it seems to be fine but then a few seconds later I will get a BSOD and the system will restart, repeating the whole process.

This is what I have done:

-set everything back to stock settings

-tried removing a stick of ram, tried the other one, switched them around in the 4 slots

-ran memtest, and got no errors

What is the problem here? I really need this computer to work, and it is obviously not my hardware. Is there some way windows can get messed up to cause this? Can I fix it? What should I do?

Guest caffeinejunkie

Are you able to see what the BSOD is saying? If not do you hsve another computer that you can pop the drive in so you cna view the watchdog file? Also since this is happening at stock have you tried using anything like WDs Datalifeguard to see if its an issue with the drive itself?

Are you able to see what the BSOD is saying? If not do you hsve another computer that you can pop the drive in so you cna view the watchdog file? Also since this is happening at stock have you tried using amything like WDs Datalifeguard to see if its an issue with the drive itself?

No, the BSOD just flashes for a split second, I cannot read it at all. I don't have another computer right now (all the other computers in my house are notebooks, and I don't think I can hook my SATA drive up to a notebook can I?) I will probably be able to find some computer or other to use, maybe a friend's or a neighbor's. As for WD Lifeguard, I don't even have that installed on the computer.

Any other ideas?

Guest caffeinejunkie

Well I believe TMODs cd has some tools similar to lifeguard if not lifeguard itself so give that a try. What happens if you try to boot into safe mode?

My Computer>Properties>Advanced>Startup and Recovery Settings>System Failure

Uncheck Automatically restart.

If you've moved the pagefile to another partition you'll get a message but just click OK then restart to make the changes.

Thanks for the help everyone. The test passed, it booted into safe mode, and then it booted into regular startup (thought it did act a bit strange). I got the files I need off the hard drive and I think I'll do a clean install of XP tomorrow (unless it seems to be functioning completely normally, which right now it isn't). Thanks again.