Artifact Tester?

caebron

What is a good way to scan for artifacts when oc'ing the GPU/Mem? In this case, I am having trouble finding the max stable clock for my 7800GTX (evga).

Usually I run fine with GPU 490, but sometimes I get artifacts. It seems completely random, I'll play a game or run a benchmark while overclocked and have no artifacts, then I'll play the same game/run the same benchmark and seem to get artifacts. It doesnt seem to matter what the temperature, the max i have seen (80C Core) runs fine at one time, only to artifact running the very same app at lower temps.

Only problem with atitool is that I can pass it with no artifacts or deltas, yet I still notice some in Day Of Defeat Source. You are best just using the games you actually play on to work out whether it is going to artifact.

Guest DaddyD302
Only problem with atitool is that I can pass it with no artifacts or deltas, yet I still notice some in Day Of Defeat Source. You are best just using the games you actually play on to work out whether it is going to artifact.

I was told, by someone a long time ago, that those test don't work, and shouldn't be relied on. I too, rely on gaming to detected artifacts.

Then again, if you read my original post, I cant rely on games for successful oc'ing. Unless one concluded that my card is not oc'eable - but that is contradictory as well.

Also - and I meanno offense by this - while I dont dispute the validity of the quote, being "told by someone a long time ago" is hardly the type of evidende you want to rely on.

Guest DaddyD302
Then again, if you read my original post, I cant rely on games for successful oc'ing. Unless one concluded that my card is not oc'eable - but that is contradictory as well.

Also - and I meanno offense by this - while I dont dispute the validity of the quote, being "told by someone a long time ago" is hardly the type of evidende you want to rely on.

Well the evidence is, I did use it, and it showed a bunch of artifacts when I tried a certain speed, in which I never saw any in any games on my old 9700Pro. I don't remember what program it was, but it suggested I back off the core speed, and I didn't, and the games played fine. Like I said the program is flawed and the only true test are the games itself.

Guest DaddyD302

Well I guess there's always the saying, you never know til you try it. Well at that time I had no clue what I was doing. Instead of taking the guy's advice I tried it out anyways. As it turns the ATI tool, wasn't accurate as he stated. This was with my old 9700pro. After that I always tried out all my ocing on games. I was at one point a mmorpg junkie playing 8hr+ a day on Dark Age of Camelot. That was good for testing my oc since that was pretty much all I played. This was 3 years ago, I have never used ATI tool again. Maybe they made improvements to it, but I'm not using it again.