New computer build What about a burn-in?

Burn in...burn up...burn out? Not me short of using memtest before boot and testing system as stable BEFORE loading all programs and apps after getting windows installed...no, don't burn in...

RGone...:confused:

Questions to answer regarding system stability.

1. Have you run MemTest86+ five full times test 1-8?

2. Have you run MemTest86+ test #5 & test #8 for at least 50 loops?

3. Have you run Prime95 torture test (blend) for at least 8 hours?

4. Have you run the full suite of 3DMark tests (01, 03 and 05)?

If you have run all of the above benchmark and stress tests, did they all pass? They should!

Links to good memory testers.

http://www.memtest.org/ Memtest86+ version available to test memory from DOS before windows boots. No errors should appear.

http://hcidesign.com/memtest/ Download HCI freeware memory tester from within windows. Should show no errors.

Burn in...burn up...burn out? Not me short of using memtest before boot and testing system as stable BEFORE loading all programs and apps after getting windows installed...no, don't burn in...

RGone...:confused:

Questions to answer regarding system stability.

1. Have you run MemTest86+ five full times test 1-8?

2. Have you run MemTest86+ test #5 & test #8 for at least 50 loops?

3. Have you run Prime95 torture test (blend) for at least 8 hours?

4. Have you run the full suite of 3DMark tests (01, 03 and 05)?

If you have run all of the above benchmark and stress tests, did they all pass? They should!

Links to good memory testers.

http://www.memtest.org/ Memtest86+ version available to test memory from DOS before windows boots. No errors should appear.

http://hcidesign.com/memtest/ Download HCI freeware memory tester from within windows. Should show no errors.

No to all, I will be building it this weekend then I will follow your prescription. Thank you.:)

I just installed a FX 55 and have been using a program called cpu-burnin. Is it possible it could have damaged the cpu, if so is there a way to tell?

Its possible, though possibility would be low i would think, if your puter is running and doing its thing then you should be fine,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,if it dont boot and all diagnostic point to cpu then i would be slightly concerned ;). Follow Rgone's "prescription" and you will be on the right road,,,,,,,burn in dont go no more, not on these platforms, maybe a long time ago now......keep it cool keep it longer :)

Logan

I've found that the burn-in from running the above tests (memtest and prime95) perform a burn-in. My system definitely clocked better after the week of running these almost continually while working on my OC.

However, the method of undervolting and stressing with a high CPU task that does not check results on a throw-away windows install (since it will become corrupted), I've never tried.

RGone, I downloaded the HCI program and will run it today. Is the memtest86+ you refer to differenet from the one that is in the bios? Thanks for the suggestion.:)

I have 2X1gb of Team Group XTreem ddr500 3-3-3-8 that I will be putting in another computer for a friend. If I put it in this computer to try it out will any points be deducted from my windows installation(will it count as a hardware change)?

I have read through the OC'ing guides and am having a hard time understanding it, I have had many crashes and the last one my OS became hidden I think it is still there because I have not done anything to uninstall it but windows can't see it. I had to reinstall Windows on another drive. I would like to test this knew FX 55 with the XTreem ram. Is there a few easy things I can do to get an idea how this cpu and ram will work then if it is good I may buy a kit of the XTreem for myself or would I be better off starting a knew thread in the OC'ing forum. Thanks for all the help.:)

Always use memtest that is loaded into BIOS. It is the one and only trusted memtest to use.

If you swap out different RAM you will have to start all over again with your stability testing. Each set of RAM, even duplicate sets need to be tested individualy in your motherboard.

Always use memtest that is loaded into BIOS. It is the one and only trusted memtest to use.

If you swap out different RAM you will have to start all over again with your stability testing. Each set of RAM, even duplicate sets need to be tested individualy in your motherboard.

Will this count as a hardware change and then another when I put mine back in.

When I swap back and put my ram back in will I have to do the stability testing again?

Thanks.:)

When I swap back and put my ram back in will I have to do the stability testing again?

Once you tested a certain RAM kit with your motherboard you might want to save settings in Re-load. Nice feature so you do not have to rely on memory.