Got 8800 GTX

rainwood

Flashed the BIOS to increase the GPU – shader domain clock.

I downloaded the BIOS file from “Some modded GeForce 8800 BIOS's... Anyone?

• Core Clock : 630MHz
  • Shader Clock : 1450MHz
  • Memory Clock : 2000MHz
  • Version : 60.80.0E.00.02

“MOD - XXX – BIOS” 8800 GTX*:

Graphics Processor Properties:

Video Adapter XFX GeForce 8800 GTX

BIOS Version 60.80.0E.00.02

GPU Code Name G80GTX

PCI Device 10DE-0191 / 1682-2250

Transistors 681 million

Process Technology 90 nm

Bus Type PCI Express x16 @ x16

Memory Size 768 MB

GPU Clock (Geometric Domain) 621 MHz (original: 630 MHz)

GPU Clock (Shader Domain) 1458 MHz (original: 1450 MHz)

RAMDAC Clock 400 MHz

Pixel Pipelines 24

TMU Per Pipeline 1

Unified Shaders 128 (v4.0)

DirectX Hardware Support DirectX v10

Pixel Fillrate 14904 MPixel/s

Texel Fillrate 14904 MTexel/s

Memory Bus Properties:

Bus Type GDDR3

Bus Width 384-bit

Real Clock 999 MHz (DDR) (original: 1000 MHz)

Effective Clock 1998 MHz

Bandwidth 93.7 GB/s

nVIDIA ForceWare Clocks:

Standard 2D GPU: 630 MHz, Memory: 1000 MHz

Low-Power 3D GPU: 630 MHz, Memory: 1000 MHz

Performance 3D GPU: 630 MHz, Memory: 1000 MHz

It's time to test...

Ran 3d Mark 06 again and heres the new score -

CPU + Video Card O/C (17364 marks)

Magel, the link seems to be dead. Could you fix the link so that I could compare?

BTW, I found that I did not have to do the BIOS update one card in the PCI-E slot at one time… I updated my message regarding the BIOS flash procedures.

*Properties readings by EVEREST v3.80.885 Beta.

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Magel, the link seems to be dead. Could you fix the link so that I could compare?

Link is now working again, unpublished it cause I got a little higher score when using a higher multi and lower FSB, heres the link if your interested -

3d mark 06 - 17381 marks

BTW, I found that I did not have to do the BIOS update one card in the PCI-E slot at one time… I updated my message regarding the BIOS flash procedures.

Awsome ! that will make things alot easier, thanks for the update !

Edit: Flashed my cards using the new method, works great. Though the second card flashed alot slower for some reason. Tweaked the xxx bios as you did and have reflashed. Also a the new P25 BIOS is now avalible for our boards if you didnt already know.....

After I flashed my XFX 8800 GTX cards’ BIOS to this modified XXX BIOS, I found the “

Forum List > NVIDIA Graphic Cards > NVIDIA GeForce BIOS > The perfect GeForce 8800 BIOS? Any feedback, thoughts…" thread in MVK tech site. In the message posted by the administrator, I read the following GPU core (Geometric domain) / GPU memory – GPU core (Shader domain) settings;

“GeForce 8800 GTX 768MB

- Default : 575/1800MHz - 1350MHz Shader

> Update : 625/2000MHz - 1450MHz Shader”

I am confused.

The settings of the modified XFX 8800 GTX XXX BIOS file from “

Forum List > NVIDIA Graphic Cards > NVIDIA GeForce BIOS > Some modded GeForce 8800 BIOS's... Anyone?” are;

• File name: xfx88xv2.rom
  • Version : 60.80.0E.00.02
  • Core Clock : 630 MHz
  • Shader Clock : 1450 MHz
  • Memory Clock : 2000 MHz

Which clock settings, the “625/1450 MHz” Geometric/Shader GPU clocks with 1450 MHz GPU memory clock or the “630/1450 MHz” Geometric/Shader GPU clocks with 1450 MHz GPU memory clock, would be the best (in terms of performance & stability) for the XFX 8800 GTX cards?

Though I think that asking this type of question is nonsense (for instance, in order to achieve the best performance & stable over-clocked CPU/memory settings in ‘my system’, I think that I have to learn by trial and error), I wonder if there are any mathematical/mechanical approach to calculate the best performance/stability combination of GPU core/memory clocks.

Your input is very much welcome.

Though I think that asking this type of question is nonsense (for instance, in order to achieve the best performance & stable over-clocked CPU/memory settings in ‘my system’, I think that I have to learn by trial and error),

Just like you said, trial and error....test it at both clocks and see how your system performance differs, if at all.....

Ran another test, AquaMark 3 -

aquamark.JPG

I have no idea how this score campairs against others as when I try to submit the results the page wont load.......

so...anyone else have games that won't run on an 8800 because the driver doesn't support openGL 1.3?

I'm having massive coronary trying to get Chronicles of Riddick: Escape From Butcher Bay to work (if you ain't checked this game, it was the best looking Xbox game ever, and even better looking on the PC, and to this day, it still looks better than 90% of the games released)

both XP-32 and Vista-32 tell me the same thing...no openGL 1.3 driver

which is odd in a sense because Call of Duty2 runs and it uses openGL (last I checked it was a modified Doom/Quake engine, but that might have been CoD1)

this Foxconn 8800GTS 320MB OC is awesome, but the one game we want to test it on (Riddick), there's no solution at all that I've seen...

Not sure if it would make a difference or not but there is a patch for that game but it's like 2 years old....says it fixes some problems with Nvidia cards. Although that card wasn't out then maybe it fix something in the game...dunnno. I'm thinking it's more just a problem with Nvidias crap drivers.

Rather odd thing to say since DHZeroPoints are nVidia drivers.

Viper

yep they are just like Omega drivers for ATI, they are the standard mfg's drivers with modified settings (usually for image quality/performance etc)

if the mfg's driver package is missing something (ie openGL 1.3 drivers in this case) then the modified driver package is going to be missing them too.

VJ, do you have any ideas about the openGL driver for newer nVidia gpu drivers?