Got 8800 GTX

rainwood

…there is something wrong. Not quite right at all.

10. Checked the memory & core clock after the BIOS update:

Here’re the core & memory bus clock rates of the XFX 8800 GTX before the BIOS update:

afteeeenw0.th.jpg

After the update:

ckspcgf1.th.jpg

The core & memory bus clock rates of the XFX 8800 GTX XXX edition are 630MHz & 2GHz. So they look O.K.

The readings by the Everest* before the BIOS update (the first screenshot):

• GPU Clock: 576 MHz
  • GPU Memory Clock: 396 MHz

After the graphic card by the Everest* BIOS update: (the second screenshot)

• GPU Clock: 621 MHz
  • GPU Memory Clock: 396 MHz

The GPU Core Clock reading by the Everest* is 9 MHz lower than that by the nTune; according to the XFX 8800 GTX XXX edition specifications, the GPU Clock is 630 MHz.

The GPU Memory Clock readings by the Everest* after the BIOS update (“396 MHz”) are same as these by the Everest* before the BIOS update (“396 MHz”); as the first & second screenshots show, the nTune seems to read the GPU Clock & GPU Memory Clock before & after the BIOS update properly (against the graphic card specification).

A quick update of my stability testing after the BIOS update:

• Performed the 2 sets of the default & high 10-repating 3DMark06 tests: the tests were completed without errors.
  • Played HL2 / HL2 – Episode One / Painkiller** with the highest settings for 8 hours straight: no errors but did not see difference before & after the BIOS update.
  • Run the 3DEMark06 test in the default settings right after the system cold boot; here’s a kicker. The score is lower than the ones before the BIOS update:

3DMark06 score with GPU core & memory overclocked to the XXX edition’s by nTune before the BIOS update:

retestlx9.th.jpg

3DMark06 score after the BIOS update:

xxxoneba2.th.jpg

Does someone know where I could find other users’ 8800 GTX XXX SLI tests?

…there is something wrong. Not quite right at all.

*Everest Ultimate Edition 2006 (version: 3.50.816 Beta)

**These are all the games installed on my box right now. I did not have much time to install the GPU/CPU intensive games, such as F.E.A.R. for testing…

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When I was looking at the past 3Dmark06 scores in my ORB account last night, I noticed that the different versions of the graphic driver were used for each test;

Run the 3DEMark06 test in the default settings right after the system cold boot; here’s a kicker. The score is lower than the ones before the BIOS update:

[Graphic card driver version: 6.14.10.9744]:

3DMark06 score with GPU core & memory overclocked to the XXX edition’s by nTune before the BIOS update:

retestlx9.th.jpg

[Graphic card driver version: 6.14.10.9792]:

3DMark06 score after the BIOS update:

xxxoneba2.th.jpg

So I will try the previous version of the driver (6.14.10.9744) on the BIOS updated 8800 GTX cards to compare the scores… I really like to know that it was worth doing the BIOPS flash to the XXX one.

BTW,

I sent an e-mail to Lavalys regarding the Everest’s GPU memory clock readings, and am waiting for their reply.

I am going to ask the MVKtech about the “hidden” command for the nvFlash (“4”).

Here's my guess on the memory read issue in Everest.

Everest is displaying the startup values programmed into the bios. On a stock 8800GTX, operating speed is 575MHz for the core and 900MHz for the memory.

The core speed is static. At bootup it is set to 575MHz and never changes unless manually overclock. However, the memory speed is not fixed. At bootup the memory is clocked at 400MHz. Once the driver is loaded, the driver clocks the memory to the advertised speed of 900MHz.

Thank you for your input, Praz.

I got the reply from the Lavalys Everest support. Quote of the support e-mail:

“…

The slight difference in GPU clock speed could be due to the slight inaccuracy of the GPU clock PLL*. It means e.g. when you set it to 625 MHz and 630 MHz, the resulting speed will be 621 MHz, since that's the only clock can be calculated by the PLL* around the requested 630 MHz.

…”

O.K., this answered the lower GPU clock readings by the Everest Ultimate Edition 2006 (version: 3.50.816 Beta).

And the support sent me the Everest Ultimate Edition 2007 (version: v3.80.877 Beta), which has the fix to read the ‘correct’ GPU memory clock:

exxxgd8.th.jpg

Here’s the comparison of the “default” & “XXX - BIOS” XFX 8800 GTX spec. comparison**: the differences in blue & italic.

“Default” XFX 8800 GTX:

Graphics Processor Properties:

Video Adapter XFX GeForce 8800 GTX

BIOS Version 60.80.06.00.12

GPU Code Name G80GTX

PCI Device 10DE-0191 / 1682-2250

Transistors 681 million

Process Technology 90 nm

Bus Type PCI Express x16 @ x16

Memory Size 768 MB

GPU Clock (Geometric Domain) 576 MHz (original: 576 MHz)

GPU Clock (Shader Domain) 1350 MHz (original: 1350 MHz)

RAMDAC Clock 400 MHz

Pixel Pipelines 24

TMU Per Pipeline 1

Unified Shaders 128 (v4.0)

DirectX Hardware Support DirectX v10

Pixel Fillrate 13824 MPixel/s

Texel Fillrate 13824 MTexel/s

Memory Bus Properties:

Bus Type GDDR3

Bus Width 384-bit

Real Clock 900 MHz (DDR) (original: 900 MHz)

Effective Clock 1800 MHz

Bandwidth 84.4 GB/s

nVIDIA ForceWare Clocks:

Standard 2D GPU: 576 MHz, Memory: 900 MHz

Low-Power 3D GPU: 576 MHz, Memory: 900 MHz

Performance 3D GPU: 576 MHz, Memory: 900 MHz

“XXX – BIOS” 8800 GTX:

Graphics Processor Properties:

Video Adapter XFX GeForce 8800 GTX

BIOS Version 60.80.08.00.40

GPU Code Name G80GTX

PCI Device 10DE-0191 / 1682-2250

Transistors 681 million

Process Technology 90 nm

Bus Type PCI Express x16 @ x16

Memory Size 768 MB

GPU Clock (Geometric Domain) 621 MHz (original: 630 MHz)

GPU Clock (Shader Domain) 1350 MHz (original: 1350 MHz)

RAMDAC Clock 400 MHz

Pixel Pipelines 24

TMU Per Pipeline 1

Unified Shaders 128 (v4.0)

DirectX Hardware Support DirectX v10

Pixel Fillrate 14904 MPixel/s

Texel Fillrate 14904 MTexel/s

Memory Bus Properties:

Bus Type GDDR3

Bus Width 384-bit

Real Clock 999 MHz (DDR) (original: 1000 MHz)

Effective Clock 1998 MHz

Bandwidth 93.7 GB/s

nVIDIA ForceWare Clocks:

Standard 2D GPU: 630 MHz, Memory: 1000 MHz

Low-Power 3D GPU: 630 MHz, Memory: 1000 MHz

Performance 3D GPU: 630 MHz, Memory: 1000 MHz

Looks like the BIOS update to the XXX one did overclock the card…wait, the “GPU Clock (Shader Domain***)” is not overclocked?

I ran the 3Dmark06 using the previous version of the graphic card driver (6.14.10.9744). However, the score was almost same as the one that I got using the latest version of the driver (6.14.10.9792) …I do not see any performance gain by overclocking using the XXX BIOS.

Then, I reviewed what “change/update” I performed against my system before the graphic card BIOS update. what I changed/updated are:

• Mainbaord BIOS update from P23 to P24: I am using the same BIOS settings before & after the BIOS update.
  • OS/chipset driver re-installation.
  • Graphic card driver update: from 6.14.10.9744 to 6.14.10.9792

I’m running out of idea (this could be wrong, but I thought that the a single XXX card (not in SLI setting) could make a 'wow' difference in performance. I really like to see the reviews of the XFX 8800 GTX XXX cards in SLI)…

Does someone have any input/insight?

*What is “PLL”?

**the “default” 8800 GTX card spec. were read by Everest Ultimate Edition 2006 (version: 3.50.816 Beta). The “XXX – BIOS” spec. was read by Everest Ultimate Edition 2007 (version: v3.80.877 Beta).

***What is “Shader”?

Nice guide rainwood, flashed to this B.I.O.S myself....Just wanted to add that it is possible to flash the cards using a USB Flash Drive which I feel way, way more comfortable with than floppy disks....

Download the "HP Drive Key Boot Utility". (Note you still need to create a floppy boot disk, the program copys the boot sectors from the floppy and wrties them to the flash drive.) After its finished, open your flash drive, no files will appear on it but this is normal....copy your utilitys and B.I.O.S....

Restart the computer with the flash drive still in......Go into your B.I.O.S under "hard disk boot priority", set your flash drive as No. 1... and your normal boot drive as No. 2 Save and restart....

You can now install the new B.I.O.S from the flash drive using the same commands that rainwood stated...Though A:> will be replaced with C:>.

Remove flash drive after flashing and restart....windows should load up fine, you wont need to adjust the B.I.O.S settings back.....

flashed to this B.I.O.S myself....Just wanted to add that it is possible to flash the cards using a USB Flash Drive which I feel way, way more comfortable with than floppy disks....

Nice work, Magel! Actually I felt uneasy when doing the BIOS flash using the floppy disc ‘cause I had the floppy drive malfunctioning problem on the EVGA 680i mainboard. I will try the USB flash drive in the next time – I am planning to go back to the original XFX 8800 GTX BIOS.

According to your profile signature, you have the XFX 8800 GTX cards in SLI.

I am very glad that you posted your message ‘cause I am having, a sort of, trouble; as you can see the previous two posts of mine regarding the BIOS update in this thread, I do not see any performance gain by updating the BIOS to the XXX one’s (at least in terms of the 3DMark06 score comparison before & after the BIOS update).

Except the CPU (yours is better than mine, though) our system spec. look alike. I wonder if you could let me know how’s your XXX-BIOS 8800 GTX cards in SLI perform after the BIOS update.

According to your profile signature, you have the XFX 8800 GTX cards in SLI. I am very glad that you posted your message ‘cause I am having, a sort of, trouble; as you can see the previous two posts of mine regarding the BIOS update in this thread, I do not see any performance gain by updating the BIOS to the XXX one’s (at least in terms of the 3DMark06 score comparison before & after the BIOS update).

I am guessing its a driver issue -

Have only flashed 1 card at the moment to see how things go....though I have already flashed back as this BIOS seems to be very unstable with the Nvidia 100.XX drivers, Rainbow Six crashes within minutes somethimes in Vista but runs "fine" in XP, though for some reason I have a keyboard and mouse issue with this game in XP that I have given up on trying to solve. I just run it in Vista as it runs it way smoother and without that issue...

Even running Rainbow Six in SLI with the nHancer tweak the game still chuggs in XP, more than certain its something to do with the 97.92 driver...if not the motherboard drivers aswell....

Didnt do any benching as theres not much point yet....Though the game was definitely running faster and smoother with fewer slow downs with the XXX BIOS....As soon as some new drivers are released I will reflash and do some benching and will let ya know.....

edit: By the way rainwood, noticed your stock BIOS version is (60.80.06.00.12), I have a newer version of the stock BIOS that was on this card when I bought it - (60.80.08.00.38) - (ID:10de:0191:1682:2250), If you want it would be more than happy to send it to you......

edit: By the way rainwood, noticed your stock BIOS version is (60.80.06.00.12), I have a newer version of the stock BIOS that was on this card when I bought it - (60.80.08.00.38) - (ID:10de:0191:1682:2250), If you want it would be more than happy to send it to you......

PM me, please.

Nice scores, Magel.

If it is possible (you saved the test scores), please show us the SM2.0 & HDR/SM3.0 scores of the #Dmark06 test by the XXX-BIOS 8800 cards in SLI mode?; I just assumed that the tests were performed under the WinXP, but correct me if it is wrong.

This is juts my opinion; performing the graphic card benchmark test with the beta driver under VISTA might not tell you the proper information about how better/worse the graphic cards can perform in the VISTA environment…

Regarding VISTA, it has very tempting new look (I just like something new), but I will not switch to VISTA until the chipset/graphic card/sound card drivers become stable (WHQL-certified is a must) enough to play the games, taking the full advantage of the chipset/graphic/sound hardware.

Well, I really re-think of what in my system setup would be the bottleneck (or what is wrong in my system), which impedes getting most of the XXX-BIOS 8800 cards in SLI…

For starters, I like to compare my system spec. that might have be related to the graphic card performance to that of yours. I’d appreciate if you could let me know the following information of your system; though you show some of info. in your sig., but I like to know that in more detail.

• Mainboard: model number & revision
  • Bios: date & version
  • CPU: model name & CPU FSB & CPU multiplier & vCore
  • Memory: model name & timings & vDIMM
  • Hard Drives: model name
  • Graphic cards: model name & BIOS version
  • Sound card: model name
  • PSU: model name & power
  • Chipset driver version: (nForce?)
  • Graphic card driver version: (FroceWare?)
  • nTune version: (if it is installed)
  • Other graphic card tuning app. used in your system: (e.g. RivaTuner)

Also your input/insight is very much welcome!

I was also thinking what if the driver installation/un-installation has not been performed properly, and so it led to drop in SLI performance.

Then, I hit this article when I was looking for information about how to clean up the mess by the driver installation: “25 Signs of Perfection: Nvidia GeForce 8800 GTX in 25 Benchmarks (page 27)".

This article is already out of date, but I will try cleaning up & re-installing the latest graphic card driver for 8800 GTX (6.14.10.9792) tonight.

Ok, heres my system setup in a little more detail -

nForce 680i SLI (122-CK-NF68-AR) P24 BIOS (2.053.66) (9.53 nforce Driver Package)

Intel Core 2 Quad Extreme QX6700 2.66Ghz 4x2Mb Cache (1.35v)

Corsair Dominator 8500C5D DDR2 2 GIG Kit 5-5-5-15 (2.2v)

2x Seagate Barracuda 250gb (RAID 0)

2x XFX Geforce 8800GTX's (BIOS 60.80.08.00.38) (97.92 forceware Driver Package)

On Board Sound

Enermax Galaxy 1000w PSU

Windows XP Home SP2 (All Updates) V.2002

ntune V.5.05.25.00

I have no other tuning apps......

You can view my 3d mark results in more detail here at the 3d mark website -

(These test were done in XP)

Stock Settings

WIth XXX BIOS

As far as driver installation went, I uninstalled the drivers, rebooted, flashed, and then re-installed the drivers....If you havnt done so already, make sure you uninstall Riva Tunner before flashing and re-installing drivers as this can create problems....

The Vista chipset drivers for the 680i have been released sometime in the last 24 hours, so I will run 3d mark before driver installation and then after....will post the results when finished.......should be interesting :rolleyes: