Setting Affinity Permantly???

i_wheeldon

There are a few games out there that you need to manually set affinity for. Everquest is an example.

There is a way to "auto" set affinity for certain games, it's best to check with the game's forum or support site for instructions.

There are a few games out there that you need to manually set affinity for. Everquest is an example.

There is a way to "auto" set affinity for certain games, it's best to check with the game's forum or support site for instructions.

Yes there is, thats what im saying haha. MS's imagecfg.exe does for starters, Only as i wrote above, It only lets you set what core and you cant use folders that have 'spaces' in them. SO best way is to put it in the working directory of everything you want to set it to and run it from there (In your shortcut).

THe one im on about lets you set other options as well such as priority and other things. Damn i wish i knew the name of it.

You know what im saying???

i.e "C:Program FilesBethesda SoftworksMorrowindMorrowind Launcher.exe"

becomes {PROGRAM.EXE} 1 1 "C:Program FilesBethesda SoftworksMorrowindMorrowind Launcher.exe"

So whe you click the shortcut, it runs from Core0 at Normal Priority (1 1). So 2 1 would be Core1 at normal Priority.

Once its set in the shortcut of your programs, you dont have to run anything else or do it in taskmanager all the time.

That MS one will do fine though, i'll use that

Well Ill go through that page, but Azureus doesnt like running on both cores on mine for some reason. Blue screens of death or computer freezes after a bit. Set it to single core its fine.

I dont actually play BF2 anymore though and that was the worst culprite with Duel Core but things have got alot better since installing the latest drivers as well. Still like to do it with Adobe though, Do my video on one core and work on the other core at the same time, Stops it from slowing down as much, it does have its uses

Read that thread I posted, it explain the steps you need to do in order to make the games run properly. BF2 for example should run PERFECT with the AMD64 driver and the AMD Dual Core Optimizer installed, nothing else is needed. If your Windows XP installation was made for a Single Core cpu then that might be the source of your problems... a lot of people suggest reinstalling Windows XP just to avoid these problems, however some people have upgraded to dual core with out having any problems.

All the newer games I have ran since BF2 which is a 2005 game ran better with dual core than with a single core. Maybe this is due to the amout of free cpu power that remains since the game only use the power of a single core, however setting the affinity manually to a single core always gives me less performance than letting the game use what ever it wants according to the system's choice. IMO if the game still requires you to set the affinity manually then it is way too old.

In the thread I posted they list the games fixed by every "fix", from the AMD64 driver to the newest video drivers from both ATI and nVidia. There is a huge typo because they recently added the Dual Core Optimizer to the list of "fixes" and they didn't updated the list of games.

This should be what it should say:

Games Fixed by AMD64 Dual Core

Morrowind

HalfLife2 (Source Engine games)

BF2

Games Fixed by The Microsoft Hotfix OR Dual Core Optimizer (use either one, not both)

FarCry

HalfLife1 (CS/DoD)

Need For Speed:MW

Unreal Tournament (Original)

Lineage 2 (in some cases)

Serious Sam 2

Games Fixed by Set the Affinity Manually

If the above fixes don't work

Lineage 2 (in some cases)

Warcraft 3

Call of Duty 1

HL2 Engine w/HDR enabled (Nvidia video cards)

Games/Benchmarks Fixed by Newer video drivers

Aquamark3

3dMark2001

KOTOR/KOTOR II with Nvidia Beta 84.12 drivers

These fixes are just for games, software aplications shouldn't have any troubles running with dual core... on the contrary they should benefit one way or the other. If your system becomes unstable when it uses both cores at 100% usage then it probably means your system isn't stable to begin with... try running two Prime95 sessions using half your ram to test for stability, 8 hours with out errors should tell you the system is more or less stable.

I believe Adobe software use both cores in a dual core, and why you might be getting BSOD... Azureus might be the same thing.

Guest thespin

Here is THE DEFINITIVE AFFINITY MANAGER. It runs in your tray (or optionally as a service). The developer really has not made an effort to present it well. Go to the bottom of the first post in the link below where he has placed an EDIT with the latest update info and a link to the download. (ignore all the stuff about modifying the exe which he had in his first version):

http://forums.amd.com/index.php?showtopic=65211&hl=

There is a help file in the download ...

Cheers, I'll have a look at that now :)

Sorrento - Yes, Games arnt so bothered anymore as you say, But it helps with Adobe Production Suite, I can be encoding with premier on one CPU, leaving the other to continue working say in After Effects which are both VERY power hungry. Another 2GB of ram would be optimal for that but 4GB runs slow so ill wait for my next serious upgrade before going 4GB when you can get decent 4GB kits i think.

Just going get either R600/G80 next year when there's a game worth playing in DX-10. Said im not EVER buying another EA product so crysis wont be one. Plus that another game that all fgancy graphics, i bet its not very good content/story wise. Its EA here!!! haha. Alamn Wake looks interesting though

BTW, NICE ONE BUDDA, That prograsm works sweet as a nut ;)

Cheers for that ;)

Here is THE DEFINITIVE AFFINITY MANAGER. It runs in your tray (or optionally as a service). The developer really has not made an effort to present it well. Go to the bottom of the first post in the link below where he has placed an EDIT with the latest update info and a link to the download. (ignore all the stuff about modifying the exe which he had in his first version):

http://forums.amd.com/index.php?showtopic=65211&hl=

There is a help file in the download ...

QUALITY ;) Works like a dream :)