OCZ 2Gig RAM...worth it?

kbruno

keep in mind that Corsair and OCZ have reps in this forum, and we have very close relationships with them.

This doesn't mean we promote them blindly, it means they have supplied us with the hardware to make sure it is compatible with DFI systems.

All of the modules of the same class (ie: UCCC 2GB modules, CE5/CE6 modules) will overclock about the same...not a real big bit of difference.

So the question comes to price + support. Prices are generally around the same, so it really boils down to support....we have a lot of Corsair and OCZ memory, lots of forum users have Corsair and OCZ, and as I said, both companies have good reps in the DFI-Street forums.

Are any of these brands offer the same amount of performance or near performance as the Corsairs? I saw that the G.SKILL Extremes were five eggs with 287 reviews...I didnt know if anyone has tested out these other types and see how they performed.

One other thing to consider. Don't pay any attention to the reviews in references to overclocking. That has always been luck of the draw. But things are different now. With DDRI chips approaching EOL, stock ratings are the more realistic probability due to lower yields..

Also thinking about upgrading to 2GB to go along with my new Operon 170. Anyone have any opinions on the Patriot PDC2G4000EL 2GB 3-4-4-8? At $235 it is a lot more affordable than the $295 Cosair TWINX2048-4000PT which has the same timings. Is the Corsair worth the additional $60?

Ok so here is the deal, I don't do much other than game and screw around on my computer...I do like my games to run fast (My vid card is holding back a bit) but i plan on getting a better one after prices drop a few...so by adding DDR500 that will drop me back 295.00 will it be worth it? I do have to get new RAM one way or another cause Im building another PC and planned on using the current modules I have now...so basically I was looking at finding a new set for my current rig (which is going to be better than my other one I'm building, basically the other one is for simple gaming and maybe as a server for some lans) So i want to find some better RAM than what I have now. But is DDR500 going to boost performance in the field that I do which is basically just gaming. Or should I get some cheaper ones allowing for more money to be spent elsewhere.

So....get some DDR400 with tight timings (but good OC ability...have to give me some that do cause i have no idea which ones are)

OR..go with the DDR500 Corsair XMS set....or OCZ set

Help me out buddies.... :)

oh and what about in between with some PC3500? <-----Just looked at the XMS pair which is $328 but tight timings...thats a lot of $$$

Looking at your sig, you would really benefit from a DDR500 kit.

When playing your games, you could not tell the difference between DDR400 or DDR500 RAM. You want quantity over quality pretty much.

However make it simple, pick DDR500 RAM. If you sig is current, you are all set.

DDR 500 is a good match if your HTT is 250.

AT DDR500 speeds you will not notice any difference in anything other than benchmarks between 3-3-8-2 or 3-4-8-4.

G.SKILL HZs are very popular with DFI boards not by coincidence.

With certain RAM becoming hard to find and the quality of it appearing to be lower, it may be wise to choose based on price for new kits.

If you can, find a proven used kit.

DDR 500 is a good match if your HTT is 250.

well the Prices are almost the same on the DDR500 models....specially between the G.SKILL and the OCZ....but if the XMS are much better spending 45 more bucks is worth it when your spending over 250 bucks. I mean its better to go ahead and get the best stuff rather than saving 45 bucks and getting ripped....i guess i dont know how the OCZ and G.SKILL or Mushkin or any of the other brands match up....