From Single core Opty 144 to X2 3800 Bios advice.

Guys,

I have just bought myself a nice X2 3800 [LDBHE 0601 UPMW] but I have a few questions.

I am currently running a 2005 bios (from Tmod) for my single core puppy, no troubles there.:)

But I am unsure as to when and what Bios I update it to, to account for the Dual core replacement.:confused:

Update bios with my single core inplace ?

Or

Once installed new Dual core chip?

Also, what is advised as to the best bios currently for my nF4 DLI-Dr mobo ?

cheers

Ade

if he has a different BIOS on there already, that suggestion doesn't help much!

I have tried the 704-2bta with my X2 4400+, but was wondering how it was always crashing... then I found out it had a dud core, so I can't say much to the use of the BIOS :P

I agree with the "if it aint broke then don't try to fix it " view point, but I was of the understanding that the bios would have to be updated from my current one (yes I flashed it to 623-3 I believe) from the one that the board came with.

For a real good, no quibble, interrogation of what bios version I am currently running, how do I check / confirm ?

CPU-Z reports:

Bios: Pheonix Technologies

Version: 6.00 PG

Date: 06/23/2005

Latest official BIOS would do just fine.

The trick part is the software to be installed and if you have to reinstall windows or not.

Install the AMD64 driver that supports Dual Core, first, and then the AMD Dual Core Optimizer... that should be enough. Doing this you don't need any MS HotFix, and installing it might give you some troubles; the HotFix does the same thing than the Dual Core Optimizer but at software level, while the Optimizer does it at Driver level.