CPU and Chipset Fans not working!

Hey fellas...the other day i noticed by cpu fan (AMD stock hsf) wasnt spinning at all, yet MBM5 always reports aorund the same temps for it, like 26C idle and 30C under load...so i restarted the computer and watched, as it starts up, it spins, then once it posts, it stops, and periodically during normal operation, it will spin, stop, spin, stop...it spins for maybe 3 secs at a time....

So figuring it was the cpu fan that was dying, i swapped it out with another amd stock hsf that i know works....same thing, spin, stop, spin, stop....so now im confused...i restarted a couple times, then i go into the bios and check the PC Health section and notice, now my chipset fan (Evercool VC-RE) is 0RPM as well!!! What in the world is going on here....Chipset fan spins up on startup, and then stops at the same time as the cpu fan, but it never spins up again....i do have all 4 power plugs plugged into the mobo...i've never had any problems....i figure i can get some 3 to 4 pin adapters and run the fans directly off the PSU, but thats not really a solution....Any ideas out there? I'd really appreciate some help, Thank you.

BTW: every other fan in the computer, the psu fans, the case fans run fine, the computer operates fine, dvd drives hard drives etc....just this chipset and cpu fan spinning problem.

i figure i can get some 3 to 4 pin adapters and run the fans directly off the PSU, but thats not really a solution

That really is the solution. For maximum stability and reliability nothing more then the chipset fan should be powered from the motherboard.

While in PC Health did you check the turn on/off settings for the fans? Set turn on/off values to the lowest settings and the fans should run continuously.

Hey, thanx for quick reply...in pc health section i just had the default loaded...never was a problem til now...i understand that using the 3 to 4 pin adapters will rectify this, but why is it doing it in the 1st place, and all of a sudden? thanx.

Do you have temp monitoring software installed? It is possible that your temp sensors are reporting wrong - so it doesn't think it needs to have the fans working... Either you BIOS, MBM5 or similar will give you the temps you are running at, which should hopefully give you a good indication of why it is turning off...?

nope no other software temp monitoring except mbm5...and i've been using the bios for temp reporting since this happened...

However, i did what Praz said, and turned all on/off settings to the lowest settings, and the fans roared up and are both spinning....sweet deal....its very cold in my house, that prolly had something to do with the fans not coming on....thanx guy, ill let you know if anything changes.

In the PC Health Section of your BIOS there are temperature settings for fan "fully on" and fan "fully off" for all of the fan headers on the motherboard.

If you are running those at default, then the m/b is controlling the fan speeds based on the component/chipset temperatures. It is normal for the fans to spin at startup and then shutoff if the cpu and chipset temperatures are at or near the fan "fully off" temps. Praz has already given the best advice. Get all fans except the nf4 chipset fan off of the motherboard headers and onto psu molex or dedicated fan controller.

For the nf4 chipset fan, go into your BIOS and set the "fully off" and "fully on" settings to the same value. i.e. 25C for both. That will force your nf4 chipset fan to run at full speed regardless of the chipset temperature.