OC'ing a 7900GT....

yonton228

I have a eVGA 7900GT (the first version that was released.) I have been trying to overclock this bad boy however I have ran across a few problems..... Whenever I increase either the memory and/or the core it increases. However upon a reboot the frequencies are takin back down to stock speeds. What would be the cause of this.

I have the most current vid card driver, the Nforce4 chip is not up to date (if it aint broke dont fix it) and everything else it up to date. To overclock I have used both Coolbits and ATITool.Temps are fine, as its like allways around 60 degrees in my room, and I am running a VF-900 cooler. Any help would be appreciated.

-yonton228/timmy

Well, your not saving your OC to the cards bios like you are with a cpu. So you'll have to save your OC as a profile and load it each time you want to use it OCed, though there is a way to write an OC to the cards Bios, I've never tried it and don't know anything more than there is a way to do it.

If using the new control panel from nvidia drivers you need to untick an option that says something like "use this frequency until I reboot computer", that option when enabled will revert any frequency to its stock speed everytime you reboot.

If after you untick that option are still have the same problem, I would suggest getting Rivatuner and overclocking the card(s) thru that program.

Good luck

If using the new control panel from nvidia drivers you need to untick an option that says something like "use this frequency until I reboot computer", that option when enabled will revert any frequency to its stock speed everytime you reboot.

If after you untick that option are still have the same problem, I would suggest getting Rivatuner and overclocking the card(s) thru that program.

Good luck

Thanks mate, that worked :D Card is now at 540/840 (MEM is volt modded atm, I will volt mod the GPU next week when I get the conductive ink pen. I also plan on raising the MEM higher.)

-yonton228/timmy

You can rewrite the bios to run o/c settings- use nbitor to read and change settings, save it, then nvflash the new settings and bios to your card. I've done this on several cards- works well. you won't need coolbits or anything after doing so- although I still do use them for the other extra settings that they enable.