Thermaltake Volcano 9 Heatsink Review

Bosco

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i have a slot athlon 900@[email protected] with a top performer vos32 and i get idle temps of 44 and load temps of 50 which i think is remarkable.

remarkable indeed!

What kind of fan is on that heatsink? The stock one?

As for your voltage, was a voltage of 1.85 really needed to make the system stable? I would would have thought 1.80 would have been fine.

That would keep your CPU a bit cooler under load and under idle.

I hate to bust your bubble, but the on-board temp probes aren't 100% accurate, and actually the comp-u-nurse probes aren't 100% accurate either.

The only real accurate way to get the CPU temp would be if the CPU had a probe builtin. It really is just too bad they dont have such a thing on Athlon's :/

I did forget to include in the review, that the room temp is usually kept around 20.9

aint nuffin wrong with my p3..

Id burn you and ur dully AMD comp any day of the year sir :)

well mebbe not.. next summer I will upgrade to an AMD what ever the fastest SOB they got out there is :)

there are two globalwin 60mm fans on my heatsink. i believe they are each around 20cfm. the thermal paste on it is some old crappy stuff. i cannot put new paste on it because i cannot get the heat plate off it is on there too good and i don't seem to have the right tools to remove it without hurting myself. so i just have regular cheap compound between the heat plate and vos32 which helped me about 2-3c. and i have 1.85v set right on the processor as well as 10x multiplier. my ram sucks and my stupid friend broke my goldfinger so it was my only option. if i run it at 1.80 it will boot but it is unstable under load and has crashed before in 3dmark. if i remember correctly, 1.85 is the default voltage for a 1ghz.

as for the onboard sensor. i would think they are only inaccurate if they are broke. they bring higher reads than a shove in probe which means there is a higher temp in there somewhere than what the shove in probe in reading and it's better to get the highest temp read you can and a shove in probe can't always do that.

http://www.m6.hwgn.net/reviews/volcano9/index2.shtml

You ever thought about selling your slot setup, and getting a socket a setup? I bet you would really love it :)

Back to the probes. They aren't inaccurate, but the temp that is reads isn't really what the CPU core is. That is what I meant by inaccurate. The temp probes are working find, and are reporting the temp that they are reading, without any problems.

I usually say in my head the real temp of the core is about 3

You ever thought about selling your slot setup, and getting a socket a setup? I bet you would really love it :)

was that directed to me?

if so.. its not a slot..

and 4ghz this summer.. pssh.. dats mine aswell :)

haha, im sorry.. I dident know..

I was looking around at his stuff and i dident see him sying he has a slot..

so.. I know the P3s ave some slot CPU's

ah oh well time for werk