Vigor Gaming Monsoon II (754, 939, AM2, LGA775) TEC cooling!

Angry_Games

Well I put the Opty 170 in and ran some settings and prime95. At idle with my XP-90 I am hitting 33c average both cores. Under load I am hitting 54c average. That is @ a 280x10 3 HTT with a 1.4Vcore. My Vigor should be in tommorrow and hopefully I will get time to install it and run the tests again. I will update when I do.

• Replies 417
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Keep in mind that these are not the most powerful tec units available by far, but made mearly for users with an average psu and average clock speeds. For a pelter with a higher wattage I belive you would have to switch to liquid cooling or use that 200+ cfm dual turbine fan. It seems to be a great unit all around though, seeing as more powerful units would need a hulking powersupply and high performance liquid cooling.

Edit: by average I mean 80% of the people who overclock and just want a reliable pc. Not the users who will overclock till their face glows.

Keep in mind that these are not the most powerful tec units available by far, but made mearly for users with an average psu and average clock speeds. For a pelter with a higher wattage I belive you would have to switch to liquid cooling or use that 200+ cfm dual turbine fan. It seems to be a great unit all around though, seeing as more powerful units would need a hulking powersupply and high performance liquid cooling.

Edit: by average I mean 80% of the people who overclock and just want a reliable pc. Not the users who will overclock till their face glows.

TEC's go into the 200 and I believe the 300w range. But if you are going to run anything higher than say 100w IMO a good water setup is a must. That is why I was apprehensive about this as TEC is the most expensive way to cool besides phase. You not only need the TEC unit and usually a seperate PSU but also a very good WC unit and condensation protection around the CPU.

I can't wait to get this installed and see how it compares to the XP-90, I hope it blows it away but we will see.

Yes, i know you have clocked your cpu that high, and with soo good idle temps, but i still don't believe. Im not an engineer at all, i just belong to tec guru's.

http://xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=38367

well, if you know I have clocked my cpu that high, with such good temps, yet you still don't believe, then nothing anyone can say will make you believe.

If you can't see the proof in front of your eyes just because you are a 'tec guru' then you really can't establish yourself as a 'tec guru' since you can't believe the proof that has been put in front of you.

TEC's go into the 200 and I believe the 300w range. But if you are going to run anything higher than say 100w IMO a good water setup is a must. That is why I was apprehensive about this as TEC is the most expensive way to cool besides phase. You not only need the TEC unit and usually a seperate PSU but also a very good WC unit and condensation protection around the CPU.

I can't wait to get this installed and see how it compares to the XP-90, I hope it blows it away but we will see.

keep in mind also, as has been stated, these are NOT the 'big-time' TEC units that the 'extreme' guys use.

These are entry-level TEC units designed to run right at ambient temp, not below it (as the 'extreme' TEC units are designed for), so there is no condensation problem.

They do an excellent job at that (and is why they are only rated to 60w or so).

If they were more powerful, they'd start to pull the processor down below ambient temp, and condensation would occur...and you'd probably have to have a second psu to run the TEC unit itself (I've heard the 'extreme' TEC units require either a huge psu, or your normal rig psu + a second psu just to power the TEC unit since it draws so much power)

I start thinking, that these heatpipes under TEC are making less heat to tec and thats why this heatsink become so good. Who want to but 110w thermalenterprises TEC and test with push-pull air on heatsink? If ill have some money after Christmas, ill buy Amanda. 110w tec is enought to power from ATX PSU, but for bigger tec you really need dedicated psu.

Well it took a bit of doing but I finally got the Vigor installed. I will give a quick overview of what performance I have but this is just initial.

I was running an XP-90 with a 92mm Panaflo Ultra. My idle temps were 33c average between both cores @ idle. Load temps were 53c prim95 ran through the second test. My settings were 2700x10 with a 1.35Vcore.

I am taking my temp readings using Core Temp. and Smart guardian.

After installing the Vigor I was able to raise my OC to 290x10 with a 1.45Vcore. My idle temp went down to 23c average between both cores. Load temps were 54c with Prime95 running through 3 tests.

As I said I really only started but am pleased so far with it's performance. I haven't really dulved into it to see any operations. I basically just plugged it in and went.

I do have some differences with my temp reading between the Core Temp. and Smart Guardian with the Smart Guardian being lower. And Core Temp. is showing a 5c difference between cores 1 and 2. I am not sure how accurate the LCD display reading is from the Vigor so I am kind of averaging out the temps until I can get a reading I trust.

Well it took a bit of doing but I finally got the Vigor installed. I will give a quick overview of what performance I have but this is just initial.

I was running an XP-90 with a 92mm Panaflo Ultra. My idle temps were 33c average between both cores @ idle. Load temps were 53c prim95 ran through the second test. My settings were 2700x10 with a 1.35Vcore.

I am taking my temp readings using Core Temp. and Smart guardian.

After installing the Vigor I was able to raise my OC to 290x10 with a 1.45Vcore. My idle temp went down to 23c average between both cores. Load temps were 54c with Prime95 running through 3 tests.

As I said I really only started but am pleased so far with it's performance. I haven't really dulved into it to see any operations. I basically just plugged it in and went.

I do have some differences with my temp reading between the Core Temp. and Smart Guardian with the Smart Guardian being lower. And Core Temp. is showing a 5c difference between cores 1 and 2. I am not sure how accurate the LCD display reading is from the Vigor so I am kind of averaging out the temps until I can get a reading I trust.

I believe the LCD display is the units operating temperature and has nothing to do with the core temps. Stick with core temp or Everest ultimate (they read the same but I paid for everest so I use it ;))

The one thing I have a small beef with is the documentation or lack there of. And a bit of control of the temps would be nice, say a minimum full on and such.

I have a screen with a little guy just a shoveling his butt off and no idea why.

The one thing I have a small beef with is the documentation or lack there of. And a bit of control of the temps would be nice, say a minimum full on and such.

I have a screen with a little guy just a shoveling his butt off and no idea why.

Yeah, the little shovel dude is a waste of LCD...I agree with adding a little bit of control seeing as how it's got such a "polished" look...it would be nice to be able to do more than just change the colors and temp from c to f...

I really think just a little bit beefier TEC for the Intels would be a major improvement without changing much other than the TEC. You already have to pony up for either a 775 -or- an AMD version. Why not charge a tad more for the Intel version and get cooling that is on par with the heat that an Intel generates? Pre Conroes are even worse aren't they?

Yeah I think an 80w TEC would be ideal but then what to do with the heat? I know when I am under load this thing get pretty warm. I am figuring now that I gained about 1v extra to OC and on my chip another 200Mhz OC. I am maxing out at about 1.45v where as my XP-90 was 1.35v.

And again better documentation and put the LCD to use with more control. Atleast let me see when the TEC is running 100% or something.