Vigor Gaming Monsoon II (754, 939, AM2, LGA775) TEC cooling!

Angry_Games

OldGuy What about useing standoffs. Also whats the purpose for the .093 to .125 thick piece of copper plate?

I think with the MB out of the computer and the help of a extra set of hands, it could be mounted.

The way it is designed the heatsink will not come into contact with the core. The IHS on a standard A64 is about .100 thick. You remove it, (ala mobile) now your cooling solution is that much lower but the Monsoon has standoffs that won't allow it to drop down...You can either place a 3/4" square X .100 thick piece of copper between the core and heatsink or you could grind the standoffs down. Try and find some pics of the unit...

• Replies 417
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The way it is designed the heatsink will not come into contact with the core. The IHS on a standard A64 is about .100 thick. You remove it, (ala mobile) now your cooling solution is that much lower but the Monsoon has standoffs that won't allow it to drop down...You can either place a 3/4" square X .100 thick piece of copper between the core and heatsink or you could grind the standoffs down. Try and find some pics of the unit...

Ok standoffs maybe the way to go. The standoffs I have were for mounting a Zalman 7700cu cooler on the DFI NF3 250gb board with the 3400+ mobile.

Dealing with exposed cores is new to me and I need to learn as much as I can about keeping that core safe while providing good cooling. Guess I need to look around for some pics. of mounting coolers on the chips.

Ok standoffs maybe the way to go. The standoffs I have were for mounting a Zalman 7700cu cooler on the DFI NF3 250gb board with the 3400+ mobile.

Dealing with exposed cores is new to me and I need to learn as much as I can about keeping that core safe while providing good cooling. Guess I need to look around for some pics. of mounting coolers on the chips.

Click the "Vigor Gaming" link in Happy's first post...you can see the standoffs at the four corners. Once the heatsink is resting on the IHS those standoffs are floating slightly above the board until drawn down tight with the screws..

Theres a couple of short videos of the mounting system here.

http://www.vigorgaming.com/components/cmp_monsoonii_amd.html

Looks like shortening the standoffs on the vigor mounting hardware maybe the way to go unless someone has a 3/4" square X .100 thick piece of copper laying around they could sell or a idea of where to get one.

Theres a couple of short videos of the mounting system here.

http://www.vigorgaming.com/components/cmp_monsoonii_amd.html

Looks like shortening the standoffs on the vigor mounting hardware maybe the way to go unless someone has a 3/4" square X .100 thick piece of copper laying around they could sell or a idea of where to get one.

I can cut you a few different sizes...but I aint gonna lap and polish em' for ya ;)

I am really looking into the Vigor but am a bit apprehensive. I always understood that TEC setups were the most expensive way to cool. And a TEC on air is just unimaginable. I am about ready to drop an Opty 170 in my system and am looking for good cooling, I have an XP-90 ATM. The Freezone is just too expensive for me TBH.

I am really looking into the Vigor but am a bit apprehensive. I always understood that TEC setups were the most expensive way to cool. And a TEC on air is just unimaginable. I am about ready to drop an Opty 170 in my system and am looking for good cooling, I have an XP-90 ATM. The Freezone is just too expensive for me TBH.

for 939/AM2 cpu's, the TEC unit is like a gift from God for me since I never could hit 3Ghz even on all my awesome watercooling gear, but the Monsoon TEC allowed me to hit 3120Mhz.

It's ok for the Core2, but the Core2 generates so much more heat when overclocked that the Monsoon TEC is not really powerful enough to handle it.

Since you going for 939/AM2, it is a great investment if you don't mind the noise (it isn't awful like a Delta fan @ 200db lol, but it is noticeable once you really get cranked up, but then again it also is muted a bit by your case, and if you have a quiet case, it mutes it even more).

for 939/AM2 cpu's, the TEC unit is like a gift from God for me since I never could hit 3Ghz even on all my awesome watercooling gear, but the Monsoon TEC allowed me to hit 3120Mhz.

It's ok for the Core2, but the Core2 generates so much more heat when overclocked that the Monsoon TEC is not really powerful enough to handle it.

Since you going for 939/AM2, it is a great investment if you don't mind the noise (it isn't awful like a Delta fan @ 200db lol, but it is noticeable once you really get cranked up, but then again it also is muted a bit by your case, and if you have a quiet case, it mutes it even more).

Yeah I ordered one "through your link ofcourse:p " based on your results. The Core2 reaults really made me hesitant but I will post my results as soon as it comes in. My opty should be here Monday and the Vigor the next day.