Vigor Gaming Monsoon II (754, 939, AM2, LGA775) TEC cooling!

Angry_Games

im wondering if the only difference from the amd version to the intel version is the mounting hardware...

meaning that u could swap the amd mounting hardware with the intel mounting hardware and use the amd version on an intel mobo

if thats the case then im also wondering if the mounting hardware is or will be sold separately in the near future

im asking cause im currently using an amd rig and will probably upgrade to a c2d and really dont want to invest another $150 on the intel version...

otherwise this new cooler is really promising...

• Replies 417
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

grasskicker509, the mounting hardware will be different, but any reasonable cpu hsf cooler will come with both lga 775, and am2/s939 mounting hardware, save for the am2 zalman 9500...

At most (which is pretty unlikely) you'd be out $5-10 for lga 775 mounting hardware.

well i checked on newegg and the monsoon 2 doesnt seem like it comes with both sets...thats why they have two versions...and thats why im wondering if both sets of mounting hardware are interchangeable just to be on the safe side...before i drop $150

You either get one or the other...no interchangeability.

well that sucks...hope vigor can change that...for $150 i wish the monsoon 2 would be more flexible...especially since its marketed at upgrade freaks...

Yup...I've had a notion run through my brain to pop it on my Ultra D/Opty and then remembered...Oh yeah...I can't :)

Yup...I've had a notion run through my brain to pop it on my Ultra D/Opty and then remembered...Oh yeah...I can't :)

its a shame that vigor doesnt have a solution for this...besides buying one for amd and another one for intel once i want to upgrade...i would rather just by an adapter if it was available...i mean its a great cooler just by seeing the results that people have had with it...oh well i guess we will just have to wait until the monsoon 3 comes out...man i was really ready to drop $150 for this...oh well time to go back and play with my watercooling...

I'm wondering if anyone has installed it on a naked chip yet. I have a

3400+ mobile dtr clawhamer I'm going to be

installing on my NF3 250gb. Since I'm fresh out of blocks, pumps and rads. this would be cheaper to buy then even 2nd hand WC'ing setup.

weighs 1lb. So would shims be enough to protect the core.?

I'm wondering if anyone has installed it on a naked chip yet. I have a

3400+ mobile dtr clawhamer I'm going to be

installing on my NF3 250gb. Since I'm fresh out of blocks, pumps and rads. this would be cheaper to buy then even 2nd hand WC'ing setup.

weighs 1lb. So would shims be enough to protect the core.?

If it had four anchor points like 775 I'd say yes...but it doesn't. You are going to have to build up shims around the periphery of the core and bulid up the core as well (.093 to .125 thick piece of copper plate). Even if you did all that you have to flip the mobo over, lay the back plate in place, eyeball the mobo over the HSF and try and get the screws started...they really missed the boat with the screws through the back side mounting method...Oh and your shimming just fell off as well so it becomes a moot point :)