CAS Latency

dreamsr

you would have...except you didn't link to the thread where it was proven that timings have no real effect (other than minor effects that only truly anal arguing monkies will complain about)

A minor technicality that won't be overlooked in the future :P

I am thinking of getting 2GB kit dual channel memory and I'm just wondering what factors to consider other than pricing of coure!

Ok, going by that thinking of RAM timings do not matter, that in itself does not matter right now. If you go shop around for a 2 GB set of DDR400 or DDR 500, even if it's crap value series, you are going to pay around the same price unless you have to have those redlines.:)

Let's take a look:

G.SKILL value series DDR400-$209.99

corsair value selcet DDR400-$211.99

Patriot 2-3-5-2 DDR400-$239.99

Crucial Ballistix 3-4-8-4 DDR500-$189.99 with rebate.

G.SKILL HZs 3-4-8-4 DDR500-$219.99( usually out of stock)

Mushkin Redlines 3-3-8-2 DDR500-$289.99 (out of stock)

If you are an overclocker, Happy is right, get a set with good headroom. Not as easy as it sounds because it's no guarantee your RAM can go above it's rated speeds.

Bottom line is DDR is not be given top priority now by the memory chip makers. DDR2 is where it's all at now. I used Newegg because they seem to have the most selection. Some places like fry's or zipzoomfly also offer DDR RAM.

Now if you don't plan to overclock, then buy the cheapest set you can find.

I also would like to point out that I personally want my RAM and cpu going 01:1, this PC is more or less a hobby that I like to tinker with. I don't wan't to run RAM on a divider, so I bought several different models until I found one that could. Nothing to do with "real world performance" more to do with what makes me tick.:)

edit: Jamaica?? I should have looked at your location a little better. sorry dreamsr.