CAS Latency

dreamsr

What would you regard as the best CAS latency for dual channel memory sticks. Here is an example:

Memory CAS Latency: 3-4-4-8-1

Is this too high?

Memory timing's have a pretty mute affect on real life performance in S939 applcation's. The only time you'ld really notice the difference is in benchmarking. At DDR500+ with 2x1gb kit's 2.5 is very hard to achieve, especially for UCCC, with 3 cas being the normal, I run my OCZ at DDR500 3-3-7-3 bit I notice no real difference from that to 3-4-8-4.

Hope this answer's the question you asked, since you are asking in the recomendation's section it's safe to think that you are asking in general and not related to your signature.

Thanks guys, I was infact asking generally. I am thinking of getting 2GB kit dual channel memory and I'm just wondering what factors to consider other than pricing of coure!

I'm going to be running sli with a pair of eVGA 7900 GT KO video cards.

*It doesn't have a substantial effect on gaming and graphics.

It does, however, have an effect on non-GPU reliant things like video transcoding and compiling.

no, not really

I've found nil difference in overall performance on a variety of programs

so maybe 2-2-5-2 will encode a dvd 3 minutes faster than 3-4-8-4 when testing same cpu.

wow (not meaning to sound snarky...but 3 minutes out of 90+ is not really something anyone is going to jump up and down about).

I just tested encoding a 1.2GB raw DV file into a 120MB WMV on 4 different machines, from timings ranging 2.5-3-8-3 all the way up to 5-6-6-15 and the only real difference is the strength of the cpu...and on the same cpu, there's no difference when it comes to Intel to Intel or AMD to AMD that I have seen....

again, this is myth stuff that you guys keep believing because of the old days when memory timings and 1T was everything (AthlonXP that really relied on tight timings).

A64 and Core2Duo...the cpu is the strength, not the memory timings, bandwidth, nor command rate.