X2 3800 Toledo on DFI Expert @ 2.95GHz. Need help hitting 3GHz.

douirc

Honestly, I'd be satisfied leaving the cpu at 2.95GHz if I could get my mem running with the 180 divider (268MHz) instead of on the 166 divider (246MHz). I'm sure that would make a noticable difference in performance. It's driving me nuts that my SLI-DR could run them at 280 2.7V but my Expert can't get past 260.

I'm not so sure about the performance loss w/lower divider,

http://www.dfi-street.com/forum/showthread.php?t=40178

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not sure I follow the thread. It's not a clear cut comparison because one memory is running a different latency with a divider versus the other memory. In my case, when I run my PC4000 3-3-3-8 memory at 250 vs 280 (with all other settings on the machine the same) i see a noticable difference in machine performance. games load faster, perform better, system runs smoother, etc etc. everything is impacted by the performance of the memory. if you have a choice to run your mem 3-3-3-8 @ 250 or 280, you can believe your choice should be 280. If of course you're suggesting that the mem run at the same speed with same latency, just using a fast HTT and a lower multi and higher divider, then yes, I could see how it wouldn't matter, or even how you could gain performance since the HTT is higher, but again, if the choice is between 250 vs 280 because of a divider, I'm def taking the lower divider for faster memory.

try it with your own mem. i see in you sig you have 2x1gb patriots. I assume they're running 3-3-3-8. run them at 200 vs 250 vs whatever your max freq is and see which performs best.

ok guys, i'm so close I can taste it. I'm obviously very excited I got this thing up and running at 3GHz 3DMark and SPi 32M stable. thank you for all your help to get me this far. my next step is of course to get my mem running at optimum speed - 273MHz (using 180 divider). I know this mem is good for 280 @ 2.7V so there's no reason why this new Expert mobo shouldn't produce the same results. I assume it's just a matter of tweaking things correctly.

The first two images from the left are my current settings @ 3GHz with 166 divider. The next two images (3 and 4) are my mem settings on my last mobo @ 280MHz with no divider. I've tried changing the settings to match that of my last board, but no success. I have to give Mirlin props as his new bios def seems to get me closer to a stable 180 divider, but it still fails half way through 3DMark. The last image (5) is the default settings when using the 180 divider @ 296HTT (mem at 269) - this fails in 3DMark.

3000km0.th.jpg3ghzspi32mop5.th.jpgtoledo2800qp6.th.jpgballistixtimings1ay.th.jpgmerlinballistixat269kz9.th.jpg

use a lower divider, raise Max Async Latency and Read Preamble, get the CPU stable...and tinker with the RAM later imho

If you are comparing your RAMs performance under the Toledo memory controller to a different mobo/CPU combination it is probably not going to perform the same. Toledo mem controller is very weak compared with others, I lost almost 10mhz on my RAM:mad:

I know you are using a different board but these timings are what I used to get 3.0ghz.

[b]Genie BIOS Settings:[/b]

[color=red]

FSB Bus Frequency.............................  -  273

LDT/FSB Frequency Ratio.......................  -  Auto

CPU/FSB Frequency Ratio.......................  -  11x

PCI eXpress Frequency.........................  -  100Mhz

CPU VID StartUp Value.........................  -  startup

CPU VID Control...............................  -  1.4v

CPU VID Special Control.......................  -  +109.6%

LDT Voltage Control...........................  -  120v 

Chip Set Voltage Control......................  -  1.52v

DRAM Voltage Control..........................  -  2.60v[/color]

[b]DRAM Configuration Settings:[/b]

[color=red]

DRAM Frequency Set............................  -  200=RAM/FSB:01/01

Command Per Clock (CPC).......................  -  Enable 

CAS Latency Control (Tcl).....................  -  3

RAS# to CAS# delay (Trcd).....................  - 3

Min RAS# active time (Tras)...................  -  8

Row precharge time (Trp)......................  -  3

Row Cycle time (Trc)..........................  -  7 Bus Clocks

Row refresh cyc time (Trfc)...................  -  13 Bus Clocks

Row to Row delay (Trrd).......................  -  02 Bus Clocks

Write recovery time (Twr).....................  -  02 Bus Clocks

Write to Read delay (Twtr)....................  -  02 Bus Clocks

Read to Write delay (Trwt)....................  -  03 Bus Clocks

Refresh Period (Tref).........................  -  3072

DRAM Bank Interleave..........................  -  Enabled

DQS Skew Control..............................  -  Auto

DQS Skew Value................................  -  0

DRAM Drive Strength...........................  -  Auto

DRAM Data Drive Strength......................  -  Auto

Max Async Latency.............................  -  8ns

DRAM Response Time............................  -  Fast

Read Preamble Time............................  - 6.0ns

IdleCycle Limit...............................  - 256 Cycles

Dynamic Counter...............................  -  disable

R/W Queue Bypass..............................  -  16 x

Bypass Max....................................  -  07 x

32 Byte Granularity...........................  -  Disable(4 Bursts)

[/color]

use a lower divider, raise Max Async Latency and Read Preamble, get the CPU stable...and tinker with the RAM later imho

If you are comparing your RAMs performance under the Toledo memory controller to a different mobo/CPU combination it is probably not going to perform the same. Toledo mem controller is very weak compared with others, I lost almost 10mhz on my RAM:mad:

not sure if what I wrote was clear. I'm already running 3GHz SPi and 3DMark stable. What I want to do is get my mem running faster. On my last board (using the same processor) I got my mem running 280 3-3-3-8 2.7V. When I try that on this board, I have zero luck. I'm looking for someone that has experience tweaking memory who can offer some advice based on the images I provided on how best to get my mem using the 180 divider and running at 272MHz.

Thanks.

I know you are using a different board but these timings are what I used to get 3.0ghz.

Looking at your sig, looks like we're running the same board, an Expert, just with different bios. The great thing is you're running the same Ballistix Z503's as me, so I thank you for taking the time to reply. I'm going to try applying your settings and let you know the results.

not sure if what I wrote was clear. I'm already running 3GHz SPi and 3DMark stable. What I want to do is get my mem running faster. On my last board (using the same processor) I got my mem running 280 3-3-3-8 2.7V. When I try that on this board, I have zero luck. I'm looking for someone that has experience tweaking memory who can offer some advice based on the images I provided on how best to get my mem using the 180 divider and running at 272MHz.

Thanks.

edited..

I guess a better question is are those the old Z503s with 5B-D and weren't those the ICs that were problematic with 3D apps?

yeah, i had to RMA these things 4 times before I finally got a set that were stable. I've been running them 280 3-3-3-8 for about 6 months now and haven't had a single problem in any of my apps, including office apps, video and audio editing, virtual machines and most important of course, gaming. they've been rock solid sticks. not sure how you determine what chips they're using, but there are two stickers, one clear that says Batch CL111QG7X and a second white sticker that says BL12864Z503.16TD. Anyway, my expectation would be to achieve the same, if not better, performance as I hear Experts are the best stability and oc'ing board in the s939 lineup.

Kingfisher - Running 3GHz/272MHz and just finished 20 loops of test #5 in Memtest86 with zero errors. moving on to test #8 for 20 loops, then I'll try SPi 32M and 3DMark.

well, i am sooo close i can taste it. I passed dual spi 32M at 3GHz/272MHz but couldn't pass 3DMark. I'm wondering if it's simply adjusting timings or if i need more voltage somewhere (like on the LDT or chipset). anyway, i'm open to suggestions.

3ghz272mhzspi32mny0.th.jpg

Looking at your sig, looks like we're running the same board, an Expert, just with different bios.

DFI LP UT SLI-DR Rev AB0 Bios 704-2β

hmm...

well, i am sooo close i can taste it. I passed dual spi 32M at 3GHz/272MHz but couldn't pass 3DMark. I'm wondering if it's simply adjusting timings or if i need more voltage somewhere (like on the LDT or chipset). anyway, i'm open to suggestions.

When running 3dMarks, do they stutter and hang and post low scores or do they just don't even run?

Have you tried different RAM voltages ? Maybe bump it to 2.8 or drop it to 2.6v.

sorry...i haven't updated my sig yet. i'm running on a new Expert with Mirlin's new bios. 3DMark makes it about 90% of the way through and then I get a windows error. Windows still running but 3DMark crashed. using Mirlin's timings 3DMark simply freezes the whole computer during the second video test.

I tried bumping the voltage and it seems to add to the stability, but still isn't perfect. Maybe you see something that's not right in the timings? I don't like that the drive strength is 'weak', but that's what bios assigns using the auto setting. also, i'm using the orange slots, not the yellow. that sound right?

one other thing...I have a timings setting that I didn't see in your list - Odd Divisor Correct = Disable. Should I enable it? :)

You are on a divider so my exact timings may not work for you. Also different mem controller.

I've found that my RAM likes weak better than normal. No harm trying yours on normal. Try 6 or 8. You are on a divider so my exact timings may not work for you.

Perhaps set your tref to 2560 or try 3120, . I like to use tweaker to change these and run everest read and latency to see any changes. Keep notes on what you try, it can get confusing really fast.

You can try some real slack trc/trfc like 18/24, , you also can try twtr at 1.

If our RAM is like mine, it boots at just about any RAM settings, being considered stable is the fun part.:cool: Good luck.