2WIRE Sharing Files (Help needed)

_unexpected_

Off topic: **With all the networking questions, maybe there should be a Networking Link from the DFI Forums Home page. **

Dilemma:

For a good while now, I have been trying to establish some type of file sharing within my Apartment. I have my Computer, (in sig), connected to my 2Wire. I also have a laptop connected to the 2Wire via WAN. I desperately need files from an old laptop, different than the WAN laptop on my computer. Keep in mind, both computer's OS is Win XP PRO.

I have used this guide:

http://support.2wire.com/cgi-bin/twowire.c...li=&p_topview=1

Which basically tells me to change my folder options in both Computers through Control Panel and Folder Options, disabling the Simple Sharing option.

Through my efforts, I have connected the Old Laptop through my Marvel Lan port using a straight cable and a Crossover cable, each of which have not allowed me to view the Shared folders I have created on the Old laptop.

I have also tried to connect the OLD laptop to the 2wire and naming both computers, mine and the laptop, under the same workgroup, MSHOME, so that with Simple Sharing enabled, it would allow me to see the Shared Files. (Failed attempt number 2)

I really need these files and I have come to grasp that I really dont know what to do at this point. Could someone kindly help me out here?

Thanks.

EDIT** more to the Equation. On one of the Computers I have installed, Norton Internet Security, not sure if that or SP2 have anything to do with it but it might.

http://www.dfi-street.com/forum/showthread...ghlight=network

important part

remember

to allow ' access' ( i think from computer A to B and vice versa)

Click START

RUN

Type regedit and press enter

Now find the following key - HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINESYSTEMCurrentControlSetContro lLsa

Double click on ‘restrictanonymous’ and change the Value Data from 1 to 0

Exit regedit and reboot the computer

http://www.dfi-street.com/forum/showthread...ghlight=network

might be helpfull..

use the magic wand man..you can get all your answers!

Okay I finally was able to see my Workgroup name and my Shared Documents that I have been tryin to share with the other computer. However, I cant see the other computer on the network. I also did the whole regedit thing and changed the value and also disabled my Norton security. Can someone direct me from here? I also have Simple File sharing enabled which doesnt work either.

Okay I have came very close, but I need some further guidance. When I click the View Workgroup Computers option it says, "It is not accessable, I may not have permission, I should contact the network Admin. The list of servers for this workgroup is currently unavailable."

What do I do now?

EDIT>> SORRy i had Norton security going. and it wasnt allowing me. But now when I click on it, I am still unable to see the other computer connected to the same workgroup.

EDIT2>>> OK with Norton Disabled, Would I still need to change any of the settings under my Local Area Connection Properties under the Windows firewall Option in COntrol Panel>?

Okay i just made two of the same accounts and passwords on each computer. I also disabled the Windows Firewall and Norton Internet Security for the time being. After restarting I noticed that I still cant see the other computers shared folder, which I have made able to share through properties. I have disabled Simple sharing as well.

So i decided to run CMD and ping each computers IP and default gateway. That was ok. Then I decided to ping the other computers IP and default gateway. I discovered that this computer, *in sig*, is able to send and recieve all 4 packets of the IP and Default gateway of the other computer, the old lap top. Then I noticed that the Old laptop can ping this computers IP but it was TIMED OUT in pinging the Default gateway.

Not sure what this means but I really need some help guys.

Angry?

Techno?

Ace?

need someone, anyone please

EDIT>> just went back into the registry on each computer and changed the sharing thing back to the default of 1. AND it still didnt work....Ehh I feel like EeYORE!!!!!!!!!

http://www-scf.usc.edu/~alanwong/eeyore.gif

Calvintang, thanks man for the help so far!

Okay so they do not have a static IP address. Excuse my ignorance, but why would I need one of those if I have a 2Wire. I was under the impression that a 2Wire is like a Router gateway. How would I go about setting up a Static IP Address? Don't Static IP addresses require servers and such? Since my laptop has the file I need, I should create the laptop into like a server?

So i created that Static IP on each computer. Then after I decided to change the regedit back to Zero in the appropriate spot. Still nothing.

2WIRE Model 1701HG Gateway

I really dont know what it is. Thanks for helping by the way calvin. Seems like alot of people are looking at this post, but not replying. Ahh..anyother ideas?

EDIT>>btw, where am I supposed to see this computer's files? Under "View workgroup computers"? or something?? never asked that.