Dual Channel Issue on a 165 and nf4 Ultra-D

I went through the same problem here with an Opteron 165/Ultra D MOBO/2GB matched Corsait Platinum mem that worked flawlessly for four months and was initailly overclocked to the max. I reigned in the OC to a very mild level since the build was for my neighbor. The Marvel port failed and the system was experiencing random crashes so I ordered another MOBO since I liked the DFI and would keep the RMA one when it arrived. The original MOBO was a R.AD0 rev and the new one was R.AE1 rev. The new MOBO would not work with dual mem, but I could start up the old board (same components) and it worked fine. DFI engineers advised me the the new nF4 rev chips together with the 040406 BIOS was a little picky about memory and advised me to go back to the 05 BIOS. I did manage to get it working with the newer BIOS. After trying everything I could think of here, the dual memory suddenly started working and I have no idea why. Worked with both sticks in the same channel, but I suffered the series of long beeps in POST that mysteriously and suddenly disappeared. I wish I could tell you what changed. I have now tested this borad with an AMD 64 X2 4800 only to find that there is not much headroom for a 4800 chip, at least this one. I can get it up to 2600, but anything over that becomes mildly unstable. The Opteron 165 is a great chip, but the Opterons are AMD's tested chips with lots of headroom.

There is an issue here with the dual channel but I have not been able to ID it. I would start by setting your mem timing way back, maybe to setting 100: in the BIOS and then slowly increase it up to bus speed and see if that's the culprit.

You can read my experience here: http://www.dfi-street.com/forum/showthread...6255#post616255