DFI NF590 SLI-M2R/G AM2 probems

Guest DaddyD302_merged

Nice Setups Flowerhorn.. I'll have to change my sig so it's horizontal as well. Anyone know if Tables work in the sig? (easier to format)

Flowerhorn: What is your 144 running at? Also, I found by Setting both links CPU --> NB and NB -->SB at same, I was able to move up a bit highr from 260 to around 266, however no 270, same No post long beep repeating code C1.

I am wondering if voltage will help on NB, or HT... Have you upped yours to hit your 320? 300?

Thanks

• Replies 181
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As far as I can see it, C1 and the beep is a memory issue... However, I am no where near the rated speed of the memory, and had it clocked higher at a lower HTT Higher mem ratio previously...

Perhaps it doesn't like my ram? Or... there are some hidden ramifications of going above 260 and combinign with lower CPU multipliers, memory ratios, etc.

Hmmm strange...

I also tried setting both links and was a no boot. I see that you're also having problems I have lowering the memory dividers below 333 and trying to push the HTT higher, kinda sucks we are the only two with this ram ATM.. we should've gone for the Platnium. :(

Anyways I'm trying again but at a different approach this time starting from my prime stable 260x11 with ram setting at 333 setting it to 400 to see how far the ram can go from there. I had to bump the voltage up to 2.33 for it to boot but had some errors in test 5, increasing the voltage to 2.36 and 2.39 just added more errors in test 5 and test 2 showed some too.

Looking at OCZTony's little guide here http://www.dfi-street.com/forum/showpost.p...8&postcount=534 I copied the drive strengths he used but I left the first two settings at 15 and weak but the rest is what he posted 1.25-1.25-1.25-1.25-1.0-1.0 and the errors went away in memtest at the initial run, gonna let it go through a few passes now. The goal here is now to see how far I can push the ram instead of leaving it near at rated speeds.

Hey!

I've had my board for about 2 weeks now and I seem to be having some stability issues. I managed to install windows and get everything up and running fine but after installing BF2 I had big issues, such as the game freezing up and sending me to the desktop after several minutes. I did a full reformat and reinstall of everything and the folks on MSI forums told me it was probably a RAM issue so I took the voltage up to 2.17.

I ran memtest86 for 8 hours and ORTHOS for 19 hours with zero errors, same with Super Pi. Ran Prime95 for about 4 hours as well with no issues. The PC seemed stable but in BF2 it still crashes here and there. Now though, when the game crashes it freezes and I get lines of yellow dots on the screen, the audio is still coming (choppy but still there) and after a few minutes I can move the mouse but cant do anything and everything is still distorted.

My system as it is right now:

DFI LanpartyUT N590 SLI-M2R

Athlon 64 X2 4600 AM2

Corsair XMS2 DDR2 800 RAM

MSI Geforce NX7600GT-VT2D256EHD

PC Power and Cooling 510 SLI PSU

Windows XP pro

Power supply specs:

+5V @ 40A,+12V @ 34A/38A,-5V @ 0.3A,-12V @ 2A,+3.3V @ 30A,+5VSB @ 3A

I'm running Nvidia's 91.47 forceware drivers on the GPU and AMD's duel core optimizer.

RAM voltage is 2.17v, I took the CPU up to 1.40v to see if that made anything more stable. I also (more out of frustration than anything) bumped up some NB and SB voltages a tiny fraction to see if it helped at all. I set UR2 Duplex mode to full and nvidia GPU Ex to auto (havent tested the system with those settings yet) under instructions from folks on another forum. OS select for DRAM > 64MB is also set to non OS/2.

Nothing in the PC is overclocked (want to get this thing stable before I try any overclocking).

The BIOS is stock as well, I'm not sure if I should flash to the BIOS on DFI's site beause they are dated at 8/29/06 and my board came in on 9/13/06.

If BIOS screens are needed I will gladly take them and post them, just tell me which ones.

Thanks in advance for any help!

Sounds more like a video card issue, it could be overheating. Do you have another game to try? BF2 is pretty buggy itself with crashing to desktop and such but the yellow dots and such then a full lockup usually means overheating video card or if you were overclocking, it was pushed to hard.

Update on my new attempts. I've given up on trying to push my setup any further, I got my errors down to 5 during test 7 but of course thats not good, I could probably have it prime stable if I lower the HTT down to 250.

Sounds more like a video card issue, it could be overheating. Do you have another game to try? BF2 is pretty buggy itself with crashing to desktop and such but the yellow dots and such then a full lockup usually means overheating video card or if you were overclocking, it was pushed to hard.

I'll look around, I know I have AA and the Serious Sam game that came with the card, I'll test them out. 3dmark06 ran fine though when I ran it this weekend.

Scores:

4197 3dmarks

SM2.0 Score: 1678

HDR/SM3.0 Score: 1633

CPU Score: 1824

I suppose the card could be overheating but I have the fans running at 100% and it has duel slot cooling. I have some RAM sinks which should be comming soon, should I wait for them or RMA the card?

Sorry, hope I'm not hijacking this thread

Nice Setups Flowerhorn.. I'll have to change my sig so it's horizontal as well. Anyone know if Tables work in the sig? (easier to format)

Flowerhorn: What is your 144 running at? Also, I found by Setting both links CPU --> NB and NB -->SB at same, I was able to move up a bit highr from 260 to around 266, however no 270, same No post long beep repeating code C1.

I am wondering if voltage will help on NB, or HT... Have you upped yours to hit your 320? 300?

Thanks

My Opty 144 is currently stable at 2.8GHz. It wants over 1.5V to prime at 2.9GHz... :P

As for the HT width, I only had to change the C51/MCP55 to Down 8 Up 8.

I had tested two CPUs on the SLi-M2R and X2 3800+ doesn't like dividers. I could boot my X2 3800+ at 300HTT (3GHz) with DDR800, but it would not boot at DDR667 for that matter.

On my 3000+ Orleans, I could play with the divider and still boot into Windows up to 320HTT (lowered CPU multi of cause).

I didn't have to increase chipset/HT or other voltage to get the board to boot up to 350HTT. I only raised the VCore and VDIMM, although the CPu was running at 5x multi.

Also note that CPU Multi 6x and 7x DOESN'T WORK! I've tested with my X2 3800+ and Memtest reports as it was set to 10x. This issue was with BIOS 829 though...

hmm... maybe I'll try without mem dividers and see... relax the timings and such.. I haven't tried without dividers... but man my memory might cook.. sigh.. more voltage.. lol.

Update:

Well went back to 333/400 and left it at 260 to see. bumped ram to 2.2v, 2.09 indicated in Guardian. Changed from 1t to 2t just for testing. Post and boot, and runs windows... Memory at 866 effective I guess. It seems ok. I wonder if I can go higher now... W/o ram being limiter.

Prevailing Prime issue:

Also, can't get prime to run on both cores... I set affinity, run them with pathprime95.exe -a0 and -a1 respectively, and itseems to spikeo the second core, then it drops back to nominal, and further loads the first core... Is there another app to test stability of both cores?

Prevailing Prime issue:

Also, can't get prime to run on both cores... I set affinity, run them with pathprime95.exe -a0 and -a1 respectively, and itseems to spikeo the second core, then it drops back to nominal, and further loads the first core... Is there another app to test stability of both cores?

Keep us or me updated on how far you can push the ram. :)

Heres a link to Orthos which is just SP2004 prime for dual core.

http://sp2004.fre3.com/beta/beta2.htm

Update:

Change Memory Ratio to 333/400 and :) Booting AND just started 3dmark05 at 270 x 10 @ 1.45 vCore :)

So it is a ratio issue... perhaps with ram, or memory controller on AM2 3800.

But that puts my ram at 449.5 (899mhz) @ 2.1v in Guardian (forget full name of the default monitor App)

Ok:

Vcore up to ~ 1.48v and Vdimm reporting 2.14v Now running 3dmark... lol.. unstable the first time. :) Anyone have an idea of an upper limit for DDR2 Modules? especially OCZ XTC Gold series?

I saw that before as well... However I firmly believe that given a $1000 dollar question on a game show, i could name the top ram from each company repectively and say they are good for overclocking too. :)

Not to Dis a DFI list, but part of overclocking is to spend less then what you would have had you just bought the stinking processor and ram that's top of the line... Some of the memory on that list is over $600 CDN, I got my 2gb kit for $225 CDN as a combo deal with the proc, hell the Mainboard I am using cost more. Obviously I could drop $400 more on Ram, and get a better overclock... but to me it kinda defeats the purpose of OCing. Might as well have dropped it on an FX, or something, instead of taking my x2 3800 up there :)

But thanks for the list, it doesn't show the new OCZ made for DFI ram I've heard about though... Maybe not released yet?