Want to learn new tricks!

jelly

I have a 4400+ and it tops out at 2.5ghz without giving it high volt! :O I have never got to play with high htt, 300+ and would like too. I want to learn how to work with memory, divider's and see what this ultra-d can do. What would you guy suggest? I dont know much about all the setting for my ram. I just dont understand it! I love to learn new things! I am happy with the speed of my cpu! I was able to get 2.5ghz out of my 4400+ with an asus a8v deluxe and thought that if I get a dfi board that I could see what overclocking was all about! So please teach me! Would I loose and performace if I do something like 315 x 8? Where can I find info on all the mem setting for my ram?

Read the stickys in this section if you want to learn about overclocking and settings. At 315x10 you are going to loose a lot of performance. Unless you managed to get the best 4400+ in the world your system isn't even going to boot at that setting.

First find your processor's max speed ( or in your case 2.5GHz) and your memory's max speed. You then use a combination of multiplier, FSB and divider to get as close as possible to processor and memory max.

I have had my memory at 255fsb. I had my chip upto 2.6ghz at 1.375 (113%) "237 x 11" but my temps were 54-55c. Too hot for me! At 2.5 at 1.35 (110%) "230 x 11" I idle at 33c and load at 47-48c. So for me that is my max on this cpu. If I go higher on my htt "230" with the volts im on I am not prime stable. Could that be my memory controller?

With the settings you gave run 250x10 with the divider set 1/1. Your processor will be at 2500 and the memory will be at 250. Both close to what you are saying is stable.

I would try 278 x 9, with the memory at a 9/10 ratio. This will keep your memory at around 250, and keep you processor at 2.5 ghz. I would keep the voltage the same, the one you feel comfortable with. You might be able to get over 300 fsb/htt, and drop the mult to 8, also on a 9/10 divider, but you need to find out your max memory speed first.

250x10, 278x9 or 312x8 with the correct divider are all going to give about the same results. Do whatever is easy for you. Running a high HTT provides absolutely no additional benefits.

Jelly,

With air cooling the trick is very cool room ambient temperatures. Get those down and your rig will clock cooler. To a point.

Also referring back to the The Definitive DFI AMD Overclocking Guide is always a good option.

Your can learn a lot by searching the Stock Speed Database (SSDB) and Overclocking Database (OCDB). See what people get out of their rigs.

Another good thread on the 4400 specifically is What are your X2 4400 made of?

My max memory is 255fsb. I am reading DFI NF4 BIOS Memory Guide right now its like my 3th or 4th time. Trying to really undersatnd it! I dont know all the settings for the memory in my bios and there are alot of them there!