Newbie to networking.

marcopolo

Well we got a cabled connection now, but we're moving to Sheffield in two weeks, and my parents are extremely keen on wireless. They're paying too, but I'd like to try and get the cost down a little.

I guess 100 pounds could be a target.

I use a dlink right now, and it's served us fine for two years, although the cabling is a real mess.

I don't want to go cheaping out on it, as I'm going away to university half the year, so leaving them with an unreliable network wouldn't be good.

You are probably best doing your own research to be honest, check out the reviews on adslguide etc. I'm sure you should be able to get a semi decent 802.11g router and 2 wireless adapters for £100

If your going cheap wireless, the Linksys WRT54G series is your best bet. I only say this because it has Linux based firmware. Since its open source, lots of people have come up with very good modified firmwares that allow you to boost signal strength as well as many other features. I would go with the WRT54GL. Its the cheapest and if you use a modified firmware I believe you can enable Speed Booster, you'll just need the appropriate wireless card.

This is the card you'll need for Speed Boost:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?...N82E16833124139

You could always just get regular cards for the other computers and a Speed Boost card for yours.

This site has one of the best WRT54G firmwares and its free:

http://www.dd-wrt.com/dd-wrtv2/index.php

The site is very informative, don't forget to read the Wiki. They also have a forum to answer any questions you might have.

How far are these computers apart, how many walls/floors seperate them?

I'm not sure, as I only visited the house briefly.

I'd say 5m though at most, as the rooms are fairly close.

I drew a quick sketch if that helps. I don't know how thick the walls are though.

housefo3.jpg

Brackets mean the location is undecided.

What kind of, if any, cordless phones do you have in your house, what is it's frequency?

We will have one or two cordless phones in the house I think, though we haven't bought the phone(s) yet (we've been using some cheap one with no answer machine up to now).

Is there any recommendations on what frequencies to buy so that it doesn't interfere?

I haven't had chance to read the wiki posted above yet, as it's late, but I will take a closer look at the phone frequency thing.

Guest Milkshake
I'm not sure, as I only visited the house briefly.

I'd say 5m though at most, as the rooms are fairly close.

I drew a quick sketch if that helps. I don't know how thick the walls are though.

housefo3.jpg

Brackets mean the location is undecided.

We will have one or two cordless phones in the house I think, though we haven't bought the phone(s) yet (we've been using some cheap one with no answer machine up to now).

Is there any recommendations on what frequencies to buy so that it doesn't interfere?

I haven't had chance to read the wiki posted above yet, as it's late, but I will take a closer look at the phone frequency thing.

You'll be fine with a wireless setup, just make sure you set a WPA or 128bit WEP key, as the 64bit can be cracked in 10 minutes. People will be able to see your network from maybe a block away. And phones will be fine, ive never heard of a phone interfering with a wireless network, worse comes to worse you have to change channels not a big deal. Just go with a quality, cheap wireless router and some NICs and youll be set. Some good routers are belkin and netgear. Good luck.