Possible Cause of System Stability Problem

Check this thread on reccomended PSU's. Keep in mind that the highest reccomendation PSU's are for very power hungry crossfire, dual core NF4 configurations. The ""A" List for Non-SLI / Non-Expert PSU's" would be a good place to start for you looking at the components you have.

http://www.dfi-street.com/forum/showthread.php?t=10854

I think if you are just testing at stock settings (i.e. NO overclock) you should be able to do that for now but the PSU you have creates uncertanty. Unfortunatley there is no way to know for sure if this is causing instability without replacing it with a reccomended type. I had to do this when I first built my system, and it solved a lot of instablity problems for me.

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi thanks for that, having looked at the FSP500W Bluestorm which is recommend, I am stuck as to why this supply is any better than my current one. The outputs match with a couple of marginal differences.

hmmm

This is bad news for my wallet lol. I guess I will purchase a more powerful psu and the OCZ Memory.

I looked at the rail spec on the TT PSU you have. They are a little light for overclocking, but you know if it was me I would try to see if I can get the thing stable at stock settings.

What testing have you done to try and isolate the problem?

For example have you tested with memtest86 from a bootable CDROM to see if you get any errors at stock settings?

Have you run prime95 blend test for a min of 8 hrs?

What about superpi. Can you run a full 32M test of superpi without it stopping?

This can give you clues as to where the problem might be.

Hi Thanks for your assistance.

I think I might have cracked it, I followed your advice with the sata cable and moved to port three.

Also, I have plugged my ATI graphics card onto its own set of cables instead of one of the splitters which came from a system fan.

I have also upped the Voltages slightly to the RAM and CPU. It seems ok at the moment.

I did leave memtest running overnight and it found no errors. Also 3dmark 06 ran several times without a hitch.

I will see how it goes, I am still tempted to change my RAM though....

I am stuck as to why this supply is any better than my current one. The outputs match with a couple of marginal differences.

I have the same questions.

I can understand that voltage regulation is very important. You don't want a PSU that lets your output voltage jump around on ya. Pretty simple concept.

I also understand that you need a PSU that has the ability to drive your loads... in other words, has a high output current capability.

Power Factor Correction is cute if you are concerned about your computer/PSU causing poor phase angles between your input voltage/current. (The closer to unity power factor, the better it is on the supply side of things.) I don't see how this would effect the PSU output however.

Where it gets a little fuzzy is when we start talking about how the constant switching of circuits can create ripple on the DC bus, causing problems for reguation capabilities in lesser quality PSU's. Wouldn't filter capacitors help to eliminate that?

Sorry to hijack your thread... but I am really curious about this sort of stuff.

Mark

Hi Thanks for your assistance.

I think I might have cracked it, I followed your advice with the sata cable and moved to port three.

Also, I have plugged my ATI graphics card onto its own set of cables instead of one of the splitters which came from a system fan.

I have also upped the Voltages slightly to the RAM and CPU. It seems ok at the moment.

I did leave memtest running overnight and it found no errors. Also 3dmark 06 ran several times without a hitch.

Awesome, it sounds like you have made some good progress.!

I will see how it goes, I am still tempted to change my RAM though....

One benefit of changing out the RAM is a higher overclock. Notice the PC4000 memory I am using. They are good to about 256Mhz 1:1 on this board. This makes it possible to reach for those high overclocks, assuming your CPU chip can handle it.

I have the same questions.

I can understand that voltage regulation is very important. You don't want a PSU that lets your output voltage jump around on ya. Pretty simple concept.

I also understand that you need a PSU that has the ability to drive your loads... in other words, has a high output current capability.

Power Factor Correction is cute if you are concerned about your computer/PSU causing poor phase angles between your input voltage/current. (The closer to unity power factor, the better it is on the supply side of things.) I don't see how this would effect the PSU output however.

Where it gets a little fuzzy is when we start talking about how the constant switching of circuits can create ripple on the DC bus, causing problems for reguation capabilities in lesser quality PSU's. Wouldn't filter capacitors help to eliminate that?

Sorry to hijack your thread... but I am really curious about this sort of stuff.

Mark

You might want to check these threads. The one from davidhammock200 is very good in my opinion.

http://forums.extremeoverclocking.com/show...02&page=1&pp=20

http://forums.extremeoverclocking.com/show...ad.php?t=137886

Ok,

I thought I had got somewhere but was wrong, still having some issues.

I decided to try with one memory stick and then the other, still had reboots galore!

I then set my Graphics card back to its locked bios so there was only 12 pipes running. Still rebooting at this point.

So, I then remove my Wireless Network card and Soundblaster Audigy 4 Sound Card. I also disconnected two fan exhausts, an akasa hdd cooler and the two 140mm fans and lcd front panel.

As if by magic the system was fine. No reboots - nothing. I have since reconnected two fans and the front LCD and HDD cooler.

I am beginning to suspect that there is a problem with the power.

I don't think my memory is at fault, I have found the correct timings of 2.5-3-3-8-1T

Gutted. I had only just bought my supply as well!

I don't think the sound is a problem as the reboots were happening before I installed the card.