what to buy: opteron 146 or the 3700+

disturbed6dws

...for the customer computer i am soon to build - what would be a better buy...an opteron 146 which i found on monarch computer for $120 dollars or the 3700+ which is $205 i believe - i plan to overclock either to about 2.5 - nothing more

id appreciate any comments i can get - trying to buy the opty tonight if the verdict is opty lOL

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, the Opteron 146 comes stock @ 2GHz and what about the caching L1/L2? Doesn't the 3700 SD have 1Mb of cache on the single core? Now we're talking about SD that's clocked at 2.2GHz right? What exactly does the customer planning on using this computer for is what you need to ask yourself????

Just get him the Opteron 146 because you should be able to get that 146 to at least 2.6GHz i'm assuming....

I say go with the Opteron since you'll already be overclocking it. I think the 146 is a 200x10 (stock speeds) chip, so you'd be looking at a 250x10 for 2.5GHz. That's not a whole lot so you should be able to reach that with ease. This is all assuming good steppings. If one chip has a good one and the other poor, get the chip with the good stepping - it makes for easier overclockage. Even at stock speeds both chips would be fine for gaming becuase if you're doing lots of graphically intense stuff like F.E.A.R., the power will be more in the GPU rather than the CPU.

yes....amd.com states that the HT frequency for the opteron 146 is 1000mhz - now....i am guessing that I will need an expert opinion on this - but....will it make a big difference between the 3700+ and this opty, keeping the HT in mind - if both are overclocked to 2.5ghz ?

I don't understand that either, but if people like Happy are running Opterons, you can be sure it's a safe bet. That's how I reasoned my 165. I believe it's 2000 like the A64 series, as the Socket 939 Opterons are basically higher grade counterparts of their Athlon brothers, and sometimes more overclockable. Hope that helps.