Anyone use diskeeper?

SanguineI

I find this funny. I have been using Diskeeper 10 Pro for a while to defragment my drives and I think theres something fishy going on. When you analyze a drive, its very dramatic about the status of your drive. If the slightest bit of fragmentation is detected, it shows a warning and says that the status of the drive is DEGRADED (gasp). If its a little more fragmented, it is shown as CRITICAL.

Anywho, my point is that I'll format my primary drive, and right after its done, I'll analyze it and it will display the status of the drive as degraded. Does anyone have any experience with this software? How could it be possible for my drive to get fragmented IMMEDIATELY after defragmenting?

Guest Kobalt

If that was a OS drive, then it is simple. The OS creates many files, and deletes others all the time. So if they are bigger/smaller than what it wrote before, you get fragmentation.

Lots of temp files for games also cause this on non boot drives.

the only problem I have is on certain builds/setups (they all have WinXP SP2), once you try and set the MFT according to Diskeeper's recommendations, it will end up timing out, and then you have to reboot, and for the next zillion reboots, WinXP wants to go through Chkdsk each time grrrrr

its odd cuz i thought it might be Norton anti-virus causing it, but it happens on setups where i put in Diskeeper and set the MFT before installing any anti-virus

Guest caffeinejunkie

ive been using it for a long time on several rigs with no issues. Only tim it ever get anything other then healthy is caution and thats when I havent configured the MFT after a format.

As a test you could download an evaluation copy of Perfect Disk (I think the 30-day or something trial is fully functional) and compare. There are at least cases when Perfect Disk perform better than Diskeeper in this area.

Have you tried to make a separate partition on one of the other drives which exclusively will be dedicated to the pagefile?

No I haven't. Its not a huge deal to me, as my new hard drive is performing very well, I just thought it was kind of strange that my drive was getting "refragmented" so quickly. I suspected it would be the same type of deal as virus software that detects viruses whether you have them or not. It is the system drive so I'm pretty sure thats whats going on here.

Usually I only get any real fragmentation on C drive,which is my OS.The other drives hardly see any.

Diskeeper seems to want you to set up a regularly scheduled Frag time.

I've used Raxco Perfect Disk as well,I think it's just as good,just seems slower

I use Diskeeper 10 too, I have it set to defrag when screensaver activates. did you change your cluster size to anything other than default 4kb? when I did that i was trying different settings for the RAID array and it was fragmenting very fast

Its definately the fastest defrag program I have used I like it alot