Son's shark case mod

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest LithoTech
Just to let u know, I taped off the front of the kuma bay and sprayed it red with a raddle can of Rust-oleum.

I saw that, very nice effect. In fact, looks better (to me) that the bottom grill you made. Almost worth picking up another kama bay just for the grill lol!

I'd like to do a little paint work on my Bro's case too, sort of like so:

redsharkbf2.jpg

I have some paint for another case I'm painting soon, one color is a warm burgandy, metalic flake. I'm not sure if we'll have time to do this paint mod on my Bro's case, he'll be in town for the build and then back to his home 5 hours away. But he can do this himself at any time.

I don't think we'll touch the aluminum front, but maybe paint some of the plastic for accent, and the flare on the side panel looks nice. It'd really look nice with the red tinted window.

Guest LithoTech
I just finished a new build, and I used a Kama Bay on it.

I'm using an Evercool aluminum-framed 120mm though - 70CFM, so it pushes some air without being overly noisy.

I got mine online:

http://www.nexfan.com/scythe-kama-bay-black.html

Yeah, that's one of the only places I could find the thing. $27 including that $6.99 flat rate shipping so it will be even more for me to ship it to Canada. Plus exchange rates and taxes, puts this puppy well over $30. A little rich for what it is. However, it is a lot more professional looking than any of the 5.2 bay fan rigs I've made from spare parts and stuff.

I'm thinking it is a worthy investment, the double fan setup and pointing at the ram and cpu could be very efficeint for a hot running overclocked rig on BH-5! :D

Guest Blooz1

By request of the OP, here's a couple of pics of mine;

bayshot3hx3.th.jpg

fanshot1bv2.th.jpg

I haven't tried the angled fan yet, but after running this rig for a week or so, I'm planning to do that mod. I used 4 drive rails for installation, but didn't need the tubes across the rear of the rails.

I saw that, very nice effect. In fact, looks better (to me) that the bottom grill you made. Almost worth picking up another kama bay just for the grill lol!

I'd like to do a little paint work on my Bro's case too, sort of like so:

redsharkbf2.jpg

I have some paint for another case I'm painting soon, one color is a warm burgandy, metalic flake. I'm not sure if we'll have time to do this paint mod on my Bro's case, he'll be in town for the build and then back to his home 5 hours away. But he can do this himself at any time.

I don't think we'll touch the aluminum front, but maybe paint some of the plastic for accent, and the flare on the side panel looks nice. It'd really look nice with the red tinted window.

How about using some paint remover on the front cover (the removable parts on it). and then buff out the bare metal until it looks like crome:)

By request of the OP, here's a couple of pics of mine;

bayshot3hx3.th.jpg

fanshot1bv2.th.jpg

I haven't tried the angled fan yet, but after running this rig for a week or so, I'm planning to do that mod. I used 4 drive rails for installation, but didn't need the tubes across the rear of the rails.

very nice set up, what kind of fan controller is that, and is that in a small drive bay.

Guest Blooz1

Kandoo - That's a Vantec controller (each channel can handle 18W), and it's mounted in a 5.25" adapter due to mounting problems with the 3.25" bay and a knob clearance issue with the door. (Look at the rear of the door, and you'll understand...)

The case is an Ultra Aluminus - it's like a Chieftec, only it uses 120mm fans. This is my "new" SLI-D/Opty 146 rig.

That freakin rocks man! I gotta agree with those that said, "I wish I had that when I was 7 years old." Oh hell, who am I kidding I wish I had that now. :P I guess I could but I'm too lazy, guess that means I wouldn't make a good dad. lol

Anyhow man, that truly is inspiring - nice job!

Awesome job Kandoo,

I have one of these cases my self and you have inspired me to mod it for the better airflow. I may do some things slightly different just so that it's not a exact replica and one of a kind.;)

My first question is...

What kind of store would I pick up the colored plastic from and how is it secured to the side. From the picture it kind of looks like rivets but I can't tell for sure.

Thx.

Awesome job Kandoo,

I have one of these cases my self and you have inspired me to mod it for the better airflow. I may do some things slightly different just so that it's not a exact replica and one of a kind.;)

My first question is...

What kind of store would I pick up the colored plastic from and how is it secured to the side. From the picture it kind of looks like rivets but I can't tell for sure.

Thx.

The plastic is secured by sheet metal screws, The black plastic bling mounted on the outside covers the screws sticking out of the cover. You will have to find a store near you (yellow pages)maybe a sign company, or art store. Also one thing to remember, I used red plastic on the side so now only red led fans show? If I put a blue one in there it would look like a regular fan. If u do find someone selling the stuff your gonna have to deside how dark the plastic will be, the more dark the less light will be seen inside the case.