New WC build

dg350z

Hey guys, as you can see I am new to the forum. I know I am supposed to have a sig but seeing as I havent bought my comp yet....I don't see what I would write lol. This is only my second build (first that I will have to completely do myself), and I have little experience with OC'ing, but im trying to learn so bare with me.

Basically, I wanted to know what ya'll thought of my setup, let me know if anything conflicts or is not worth the money. Here goes:

TT armor series case VA80000BWS-black

NEC 16x dvd burner ND-3500A

2x Seagate barracuda sata 3gb/s ST3160812AS 160gb (raid 0 im thinking)

G.Skill extreme series 2gb (2x 1gb) DDR 500 F1-4000USU2-2GBHZ

AMD 3700+ San Diego core ADA3700BNBOX

Evga 7900GT (not sure which exactly, apparantly their having issues with faulty ram)

Water cooling from danger den (havent exactly configured it yet but dual 120mm radiator for sure, tdx waterblock ect)

Last but not least! -- DFI LP UT nF4 SLI-DR Expert (heard I should get the expert vs. dr..., correct me if im wrong) -- will also get the new chipset fan most people here seem to like.

Well thats it -- besides constructive criticisms on the setup- - any advice on the build itself and/or OCing configurations are welcome! Thanks in advance!

EDIT: I forgot my PSU lol -- I heard that the Hiper 580w PSU is nice, and I like that it is modular, but you guys all seem to love the OCZ 600/700 watt....so I am also considering those.

Hey guys, as you can see I am new to the forum. I know I am supposed to have a sig but seeing as I havent bought my comp yet....I don't see what I would write lol. This is only my second build (first that I will have to completely do myself), and I have little experience with OC'ing, but im trying to learn so bare with me.

Basically, I wanted to know what ya'll thought of my setup, let me know if anything conflicts or is not worth the money. Here goes:

TT armor series case VA80000BWS-black

NEC 16x dvd burner ND-3500A

2x Seagate barracuda sata 3gb/s ST3160812AS 160gb (raid 0 im thinking)

G.Skill extreme series 2gb (2x 1gb) DDR 500 F1-4000USU2-2GBHZ

AMD 3700+ San Diego core ADA3700BNBOX

Evga 7900GT (not sure which exactly, apparantly their having issues with faulty ram)

Water cooling from danger den (havent exactly configured it yet but dual 120mm radiator for sure, tdx waterblock ect)

Last but not least! -- DFI LP UT nF4 SLI-DR Expert (heard I should get the expert vs. dr..., correct me if im wrong) -- will also get the new chipset fan most people here seem to like.

Well thats it -- besides constructive criticisms on the setup- - any advice on the build itself and/or OCing configurations are welcome! Thanks in advance!

EDIT: I forgot my PSU lol -- I heard that the Hiper 580w PSU is nice, and I like that it is modular, but you guys all seem to love the OCZ 600/700 watt....so I am also considering those.

A few pointers...

- Put the system that you are intending on getting in your sig. That will help.

- Modular PSUs do not perform any better. The main thing with a PSU is steady, reliable perfomance. In fact, modular PSUs tend to be not the top-of-the-line performers (may be some exceptions - but I can't think of any). Think performance and reliability when choosing the PSU. Modular shouldn't be high on the list

- Read through the build guide and the sticky threads - and look at people with similar hardware as you want to buy, the problems that they encounter and the configs they use.

- You will need to tweak to get things running - especially the RAM. Hopefully this is something you enjoy. If you don't like tweaking and learning/reading about bits and pieces, Expert may not be for you.

Other than that, the components you are looking at look good to me. Good luck and most importantly, have fun :)

I read the rules all the way through >.< and i've read all the stickies as well, along with quite a few posts. Its hard to take it all in though when you haven't actually experienced doing any of this though, which is why im looking for some pointers before I buy my stuff and realize something either doesn't work well or wasn't the best for the money. I heard those Hiper PSUs were nice, but I suppose I will go with the GameXstream instead. Any other pointers would be greatly appretiated! Thanks

The parts you have chosen along with the OCZ Power Supply will work well together.

There were a lot of problems with the 7900GT's, when you buy your card make sure it has N58 in the part # and not N56.

Will you be using SLI in the near future? If you are absolutely going with SLI then the expert is the way to go. If not, you may want to consider the Ultra-D or SLI-DR. The expert can be quite picky at times and is about as far from a plug and play board as you can get. If you are headstrong, have patience and are willing to learn grab the expert.

I've got that case, it's got plenty of space (you should have no problem with a WC rig). However, it is steel. Fully loaded, I'd say mine is about 55 lbs (yeah...really). They have an aluminum version, if you don't mind the price increase and silver color. Also, there's a lot of space to hide cables (behind the 5.25" rack), so I wouldn't worry about having a mess if you get a non-modular PSU. It just takes a little time and effort to get everything arranged.

You look like you've got a pretty good headstart. As always, follow the initial build guide, and if you intend to overclock (which I hope you do with that DD setup...) read the overclocking guide. I've got links to both in my sig.

-Nate